dweyant

Well Known Member
I’ve got an oil temp issue.

RV-14A with a YIO-390EXP
about 60 TT

Climbing out at about 115 Knots
Oil temp went from 191 to 222 degrees in 9 seconds.
I believe it only stopped at 222 because I pulled power back to just above idle
Pulled power returned and landed. temp was down to 200 by the time I shut down

Checked the oil temp probe with boiling and ice water, temps as expected.
Oil pressure was stable at about 75 psi
CHT’s good at about 350
Sump showed just over six quarts when I checked same as before flight

Pulled the vernatherm. No obvious issues, and putting it in boiling water cause it to extend by “I think” an appropriate length.

Running out of ideas on what to try. Any thoughts?

-Dan

I’ve got an oil temp issue.

RV-14A with a YIO-390EXP
about 60 TT

Climbing out at about 115 Knots
Oil temp went from 191 to 222 degrees in 9 seconds.
I believe it only stopped at 222 because I pulled power back to just above idle
Pulled power returned and landed. temp was down to 200 by the time I shut down

Checked the oil temp probe with boiling and ice water, temps as expected.
Oil pressure was stable at about 75 psi
CHT’s good at about 350
Sump showed just over six quarts when I checked same as before flight

Pulled the vernatherm. No obvious issues, and putting it in boiling water cause it to extend by “I think” an appropriate length.

Running out of ideas on what to try. Any thoughts?

-Dan
That fast a temp rise sounds like either an oil flow or air flow issue to the oil cooler. A positive oil pressure doesn't confirm there's flow. If you haven't already, I would check your baffles and especially the hose connections to the oil cooler. If that looks OK, the I would inspect the oil cooler for blockage. It's a new build so it's possible something is obstructing the flow in the oil cooler. I seem to recall there were some reported manufacturing issues with the oil cooler.

That fast a temp rise sounds like either an oil flow or air flow issue to the oil cooler. A positive oil pressure doesn't confirm there's flow. If you haven't already, I would check your baffles and especially the hose connections to the oil cooler. If that looks OK, the I would inspect the oil cooler for blockage. It's a new build so it's possible something is obstructing the flow in the oil cooler. I seem to recall there were some reported manufacturing issues with the oil cooler.
How do you check an oil cooler for blockage? Double checked all the baffling and no issues that I could find, and I haven’t changed anything….