scottmillhouse

Well Known Member
I'm thinking I have a Vernatherm problem but my local A&P says they never go bad and had me checking everything else out. 1991 Lycoming 0-320 B2C with oil filter adapter.

Wish I knew something else to try and swap out. Cylinders has 50 hours on them, bottom end has 350 hours. Just did annual recently and all mechanical checked out so replaced gauges and sensors with no change. Oil pressure is high as well as oil temperature which is reverse of normal trend. On cross countries oil temperature at altitude once stabilized is about 20 degrees higher than usual and oil pressure 10 psi higher. Occasionally in flight you can watch them go up together and then go down together. Turning off all electrical has no effect. Cylinder heads are always on the cool side. Three circuits of pattern puts you in the danger zone on oil temp and oil pressure goes over 90 psi on a takeoff but lowers to safe zone once oil heats up.

Any ideas appreciated since I'm afraid to fly low or slow for any length of time (why I skipped Oshkosh last week).

How about confirming the oil temp indication is accurate with a infra red heat gun or some other method. If you aim the gun at the oil filter can the indication should be within 3-5 degrees of what you see on the aircraft gauge. It really sounds like the indication is not accurate.
Good luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."