flightlogic

Well Known Member
Patron
Did not do my proper approach planning last week and ended up too fast on final with not enough runway. Tried a hard slip to bleed speed and lose altitude. Not working in my RV. Made the call to pull the flaps up and go. Tower was not pleased with me. In the climb, I was told to extend upwind. Then on downwind told they would call the base. I tried that as long as possible but the mountain in my face eventually made me turn. Tower accepted that.
During all this there was a really strong smoke smell. It made me regret not being within gliding distance of the runway I had just gone missed on.
Is it possible that a hard slip one way or the other spits oil out of the separator... and then dribbles on the Vetterman... then stinks up the cockpit???
What have others experienced?

Last edited:
Smoke smell equals emergency and put it down now. Tower can be happy about it, or not, but we can discuss it on the ground.

As far as "normal" maneuvers and separators, I've never had that problem.

Even doing slightly inverted maneuvers (Hammerhead and Half cuban with No inverted Oil) I have never encountered smoke smell. I've had a belly full of oil, still no smoke smell.