LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
First, thanks again to VAF for all the engine-hanging info that's here, especially the Illustrated Guide to Engine Hanging.

My searching has not revealed a torque value, however, for the oil restrictor fitting. Also, should Fuel Lube be used on it?

Not sure, but....

the direction of the fitting is important due to interference from the Engine Mount. I assume you are doing this prior to mounting the engine. I use fuel lube on all fittings with pipe threads. As you tighten the fitting, if it does not line up where you need it, do not risk breaking it. Back the fitting off a quarter or half a turn, then tighten again. You can work it around kind of like a tap, back and forth, until it is in the correct orientation.
Perhaps others have torqued the fitting but it is doubtfull that it will end up oriented in the direction you want it.

Lycoming says...

the direction of the fitting is important due to interference from the Engine Mount. I assume you are doing this prior to mounting the engine. I use fuel lube on all fittings with pipe threads. As you tighten the fitting, if it does not line up where you need it, do not risk breaking it. Back the fitting off a quarter or half a turn, then tighten again. You can work it around kind of like a tap, back and forth, until it is in the correct orientation.
Perhaps others have torqued the fitting but it is doubtfull that it will end up oriented in the direction you want it.

...40 in-lbs for 1/8 pipe thread, and 85 in-lbs for 1/4 pipe thread fittings, with lubricated threads.

Like JonJay says, you can re-insert the part several times and turn it a bit further physically with each insertion.

I have had more success with actually removing the fitting, cleaning the threads and applying more fuel lube, rather than just backing it off half a turn, and then re-torquing it. It seems like each insertion wears a little off the threads, allowing the next insertion to penetrate a bit deeper into the tapered hole and end up at a different rotation angle. However, whatever works is OK...:)

Last edited:
Yes. I'm hoping to mount the engine later this week. So tighten until tight and facing the right wheel. Now I'm wondering how tight is tight?
Bob,
That's easy?..tight is tight! :)
Try 40-60 inch pounds.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

engine_pressure_fitting.jpg

And it came out great, thanks to you all. Got it to torque perfectly to 80 inch pounds and be oriented correctly. I'll be documenting the install on the blog and hopefully all the stupid questions I have and get answered will save others from sounding as dumb as I realize I do on a regular basis.

I'm having such a blast building this plane!