dan carley

Well Known Member
i've reciently purchased a nice rv-4, on it's first long flight i noticed the oil pressure gauge jumping from 40 to 60 lbs. after a few minutes it stabled about 60lbs. it is a westtack electrical gauge. could it be the oil pressure is fluxuating? would it be the gauge,wiring,sender or a bad ground?

thanks
dan carley
RV4
N14FT

Dan the answer is "YES" to all the above. The first thing I would do is hook up a mechanical pressure gage and see what the reading is. You could put a "Y" into the line before the sending unit and even run it into the cabin if you want to fly with it. You need to know if the pressure is really fluctuating (jumping) before you start tearing things apart.
Shine'r (Flying Slooowly over the western Pa country side)

Dan, after you verify the guage and plumbing, check the oil pressure relief valve seat. Many times there has been a nic or piece of trash embedded and will hold the 1028-B ball off the seat causing a hyper O/P reading

Allen
BPE, Inc

i just looked at the unit, i found a small amount of oil on the back of the sender, could this be the problem? i think i'll tee off and put a regular oil gauge in line. just for my own piece of mind.

danny