MontanaMike

Well Known Member
Anybody using the Electronics International OPT-1 gauge, are you using the Vans aluminum manifold mounted on the firewall and have screwed the EI PT-100GA directly into this manifold instead of using a flex hose from manifold to the transducer or directly to the transducer from the engine?

EI seems concerned about vibration cracking the transducer housing threads if it is directly mounted, as the Vans gauge oil pressure transducer is.

With a restrictor fitting in line at the oil pickup, as we have all done hopefully, risk of catastrophic failure seems much lower, and the EI unit appears as robust or more so than the Vans unit.

Since my aluminum manifold is bolted to the firewall already, and it also manages my low oil pressure idiot light, I hate to abandon it unless necessary for safety.

Any info on failures or cracking will be very much appreciated. I will of course choose safety over a clean appearance or efficiency of the installation. I am waiting for a reply from EI support online, but I suspect their reply will be and must be, governed by liability and existing printed product written instructions required by their STC.

Montanamike
RV6 N918MB O-320 150

OPT-1 Tech Response

:)Matt at EI responds that the transducer must be mounted to the firewall independent of the elegant and ubiquitous Vans manifold, what a shame to drill another hole in the firewall just for an adel clamp and run another hose,adding failure points. My Vans setup looked really sweet.

I absolutely love my huge collection of EI steam gauges, and Matt and the other folks are great for support and parts. No beef on quality or service from me.

Maybe I am just not looking forward to redoing something that did not seem to be necessary. Remove one transducer, screw in the other? If you go my route on upgrading, keep this in mind.

Back to moving snow now.

I have always had both my EI fuel and oil tranducers screwed directly into the manifold. There is very little vibration on the firewall and I see absolutely no reason to do otherwise.