f1rocket

Well Known Member
This time around, I plan to install an Oil Pressure transducer switch so I won't forget to switch off my electronic ignition system again. :eek: Since the Van's catalog doesn't contain a picture of this device, I'm assuming it is big and round like the other pressure transducers. If so, I'm wondering how others have hooked it up to the transducer manifold on the firewall. I want to run just one oil line and that position will be taken up by the oil pressure transducer and it doesn't look like the oil pressure switch will fit on top, so how have other's done it? I'm sure there's some elegant way to getting this accomplished, but my brain can't seem to figure it out at the moment. Thanks.

Assuming your only installing the switch to remind you to master off, Id recommend hooking up the idiot light to alternator. Most have em now coming from Vans or NAPA. AND you dont have oil line to transducers to deal with for future failure points.

Since most folks are running more modern engine monitors, oil pressure switches have become a thing of the past. More things to go wrong for no value add.

If my first assumption is incorrrect, then forget everything I just said.

Best,

Another way.

dsc00376mediumur9.jpg

I used one of those dual-output VDO senders (360 025) with a pressure switch (for an idiot light) as well as the resistive gauge output. I then used the pressure switch to turn on a little cube relay to run my Hobbs meter on the NC contacts and a big, fat red light in front of my nose on the NO contacts. Yes, I have an EFIS with engine monitor, but nothing gets your attention like a BIG RED light. The nice thing about using the dual-output VDO sender is simplified plumbing.

Not sure how to post a PDF file, but if you want a copy of my schematic emailed to you, send me a PM.

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6, flying

Last edited:
Assuming your only installing the switch to remind you to master off, Id recommend hooking up the idiot light to alternator. Most have em now coming from Vans or NAPA. AND you dont have oil line to transducers to deal with for future failure points.

Since most folks are running more modern engine monitors, oil pressure switches have become a thing of the past. More things to go wrong for no value add.

If my first assumption is incorrrect, then forget everything I just said.

Best,

Thanks Mike, but here's the problem. The Lightspeed Electronic ignition is connected directly to the battery bus so it bypasses the Master switch and the primary and essential busses. I will have one Magneto switch and one EI switch. When I shut down, it is sometimes easy to forget to turn these two switches off without some kind of indicator. I have a alternator light that is connected to the alternator controller so if I leave the master on, this light shines bright. I've looked at this a dozen ways and I don't see a way to do it without a oil pressure switch, but I'd love to hear and see more ideas.

647jc, that's a good way to do it, but my third manifold hole is being used for manifold pressure. I've found it a convenient way to transition from -4 hose to 1/8" copper tubing to feed the manifold pressure senders.

I still think I need to find a way to plumb the sensor to the second hole on the manifold where the oil pressure sender is plumbed.

I plumbed the same as Bill, in addition to switching on the Hobbs I have the Dynon EFIS/EMS alarm wired into the same circuit so the red light remind me to shut off the master, indicates low oil pressure and also indicates system alarms. Acts like a master caution/warning.

Randy,
My solution was pretty similar to Bills, instead I used a 45 degree street elbow and an inexpensive oil switch. It's wired to my Ebus, so I have a backup to the main bus EFIS/EMS indication.

Randy,
My solution was pretty similar to Bills, instead I used a 45 degree street elbow and an inexpensive oil switch. It's wired to my Ebus, so I have a backup to the main bus EFIS/EMS indication.

Thanks Rocky. That will work too. Looks like I need to make a trip to the aviation isle at Ace Hardware.