N24YW

Well Known Member
Has anyone had troulbe with the Van's oil pressue gauges and senders. Mine seem to run okay for a while and then the oil pressure will drop to 20 psi and then back to 60. all in a couple of seconds. If I wiggle the terminal on the sender it seems to work for a couple of hours and then it happens again. I have put a mechincal gauge on the check the engine and it is rock solid at a given RPM. I have a new sender coming next day. But just wondering if anyone else has seen this problem

Jim Knight
Burlington Iowa
RV6
75 hours

Oil Pressure

I also have had the same problem. Sometimes it will be right on 70# and others it will fluctuate from 45 to 70#. These pressures are at cruise (2350RPM) 30# consistantly at idle.
Gerry Chancey, RV-9, N92GC & Cub N88583

UPDATE

I just installed a new sender tonight and it seems okay now. I see around 70-75 after the oil is up to temp, idle at about 35-40. I hope this cures my problem.

Jim Knight
burlignto Iowa
rv8 76 hours

Update found the problem

I have been struggleing with oil pressure flucating all over. I figured out the problem. I noticed that my pressure would jump around any time that I ran the motor between 2500-2550 rpms. I had mounted my sender directly to the back of the engine. My guess is that a vibration happens at this rpm and causes the wire wound sender to bounce. I moved the sender to the firewall and ran a hose to it. After the first test flight it seems to be alright now. Just wish I would have mounted it to the firewall to begin with.

Jim Knight
Burlington Iowa
RV-6