dustman

Well Known Member
Question for the gallery. I am installing electric oil pressure transmitter. My question is on the mounting, is it better to mount it directly to the engine or mount it remotely to the firewall. Is vibration an issue with these transmitters? Thanks

Vibration is an issue. It is NOT recommended to mount it to the engine.

oil press

Thanks Scottt, I figured that would be the case any suggestions from anyone on a simple branket or manifold to mount it with other than a purchased device?

NO MANIFOLD NEEDED.....

Thanks Scottt, I figured that would be the case any suggestions from anyone on a simple branket or manifold to mount it with other than a purchased device?

An ADEL clamp around the sender connected to another ADEL clamp around the motor mount near the upper right corner of the firewall........ worked for me. It also lets the line run with the mount tube and keeps it out of your way......:)

Do the same with the fuel pressure sender but in the upper left corner...;)

Van's manifold

The standard Van's manifold works well. I liked the manifold because each "port" has an inlet and 2 outlets. I used one outlet for my EI pressure sensor and the other output to connect a dumb pressure switch connected to an idiot light.

Not an RV...

An ADEL clamp around the sender connected to another ADEL clamp around the motor mount near the upper right corner of the firewall........ worked for me. It also lets the line run with the mount tube and keeps it out of your way......:)

Do the same with the fuel pressure sender but in the upper left corner...;)

...but this technique is shown here....

Oil-sensor-A.JPG

....note that some sensors - like the OP one here - only have one terminal, and rely on a ground. The rubber on the Adel clamps sort of ruins this....:)

It's not clear in the picture, but there is another wire connected to a terminal on the screw that connects the two clamps to-gether. The large clamp is a standard Adel clamp with the rubber portion removed. A 1 7/16 clamp with the rubber removed worked for the VDO Mitchell senders. Spruce did not have a 1 9/16 plain clamp.

The Fuel Pressure sensor here had two terminals and a rubber clamp was OK.

Fuel-sensor-A.JPG

On the 912, the transmitter mounts directly on the engine, although some designs do use a firewall-mounted sender. They tend to have a short lifespan. I had one fail in-flight at 200hr, going full-scale high - a very unpleasant experience.

TODR

...but this technique is shown here....

Oil-sensor-A.JPG

....note that some sensors - like the OP one here - only have one terminal, and rely on a ground. The rubber on the Adel clamps sort of ruins this....:)
QUOTE]

Yes, and thats what I had to figure out........ Pictures to follow.......:)