sneedrv-6

Well Known Member
I recently dropped my plane off for an annual. We found a crack in the accessory case and pulled the engine and installed a new accessory case. My plane did have an inverted oil system we removed the system and also replaced all the fuel and oil hoses firewall forward. Today we tried to fire up the engine with no luck. I spun the prop with the mags off and we got no oil pressure. We hand spun the prop and filled the hoses and the cooler with oil with no luck. An engine rebuilder told us he has to spin the prop for 10 minutes to get oil pressure. We also replaced the vetherman valve (Spelling) while we had the engine out due to wear on the valve. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks a bunch,

Jason

I had the same problem

I had just installed a TSIO 520 in a 206 and I wanted to see an oil pressure indication before firing it up. I ended up pressurizing the crankcase thru the breather tube to about 20 psi to force oil into the cantivating pump. I dialed the pressure in using a pressure regulator (not flow regulator), with a blower safetied "on" and hose clamped on the breather while cranking the engine. Took two tries. Also mind the whistler if you operate in the cold.
Good luck

Andrew
A&P I.A
D.O.M.
-4 started and sold
dreaming again

Plug

Jason

When you removed the inverted oil system did you remove the plug in the sump for the oil pick-up?

Cheers

Peter

Oil pressure

I have a 2gallon oil tank that I pressurize and connect it to where you pickup your oil pressure in the case. Pressurize tank to 30lbs and wait until a quart of oil is pumped in and that should lube everything up so the pump will be primed. Thats If you put everything back together correctly.
Works good for me anyhow.

You can also prime........

.....the pump using a vacuum. We go through a 1 gallon mayo bottle so we don't lock up the vac with oil.

Attach a line to the oil pressure port and the vacuum will pull oil through the engine's pump.

Regards,

Ditto Kiwipete....

This would be something easy to overlook. Also, since he used a different accessory case, I've seen one of these that had a plug in the sump pickup passage. It used a pickup mounted to the inside of the accessory case.
Hopefully neither is the case, it's just a priming issue!!

Sump Screen

Jason

Just a thought. Have you replaced the sump screen. As when you put the plug in for the inverted system the normal practice is to shorten the screen. So now without the plug the screen maybe loose. Is the engine horizontal or vertical induction? I think on the vertical induction the screen may actually be totally removed.
Glad to hear you found the problem before you started the engine and possibly caused damage.

Cheers

Peter