Mike Coady

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me if an oil line can be hooked to the front of the engine engine case as a point for oil pressure line to sending unit? I purchased a used O-360 that had been on a Cessna 172. I installed the engine before I realized that the normal pressure port was on the accessory case BEHIND the upper right engine mount. My engines normal port plug has the plug in it and it appears it has not been used. There is however a 90' fitting attached to the right, upper front, of the engine case. I think this may have been used for oil pressure. Does anyone out there know for sure? I also wondered if this is not possible, what about the oil fitting that comes off of the accessory case that goes to the oil cooler? Can you use this point, with adapter/fitting to get oil pressure and will it be correct pressure? Any suggestions would be appreciated since my engine is already hung.
Thanks
Mike

You more than likely can but why? You have to pass the line through baffles and it would be really long. The one to the front would read lower as it's lost some pressure going through the lifter area. The co-pilot side would read lower than the pilot side according to Lycoming. http://egaa.home.mindspring.com/new.htm

Someone who overhauls cases can put a pressure fitting tap where you need it on the assy housing.

Make sure you use a dedicated oil pressure fitting. It has a tiny orifice so if the sending unit or line fail you don't pump all your oil out in seconds.

Last edited:
Oil pressure

Cessna piston singles since resumption of production(1996??) have taken oil pressure from front of right gallery. This allowed Cessna to run 10# more oil pressure while retaining the previous reading on the gage. This is believed by some to provide better valve lubrication and cooling.

Either one

Use which ever is most convienent. The galley runs the length of the engine and if you pull both plugs you can see all the way through to the other side.
Just know if you use the front port it will read lower than the rear by some~10 psi.
Then read the Marvel/Scott article linked above and decide where you want to set the pressure.
Tim

Pressure port

Thank you all for the input. It makes me more comfortable with either way I go now. It had been hooked up in front on the Cessna and rather than pull the engine, I'll probably run the line through the baffling across the top of the engine case.
Thanks again. I hope to be flying in the Spring!

Cessna piston singles since resumption of production(1996??) have taken oil pressure from front of right gallery. This allowed Cessna to run 10# more oil pressure while retaining the previous reading on the gage. This is believed by some to provide better valve lubrication and cooling.

Not only did they change the oil pressure pick up point, then they raised the redline oil pressure to 115 PSI.
http://egaa.home.mindspring.com/new.htm