hcccs

Well Known Member
Is it OK to use a Aeroquip 303 hose in the engine comparment or do I have to choose a steel braided type?

Hose

Is it OK to use a Aeroquip 303 hose in the engine comparment or do I have to choose a steel braided type?

303 hose is fine for use in the engine compartment but for safeties sake, you will want to cover it with "Fire Sleeve" a flame resistant covering. It is relatively easy to make your own hose using "491" fittings by following the directions. You will want to use a mandrel for each size hose to help make up the ends.

You don't have to use factory style bands on the ends of the Fire Sleeve to hold it in place, you can use several turns of safety wire wrapped and twisted around the ends to do the same job.

Be sure to seal the ends with RTV to prevent oil from wicking up into the Fire Sleeve insulation.

According to some, it wont be quite as pretty as braided stainless steel but the fluids won't know the difference. Your pocketbook will and you'll have the satisfaction of fabricating something else on your plane!:)

Hose

Not the area of the airplane to just be good enough. I am a firm believer in steel braided and fire sleeve on anything in front of the firewall.

Pat

Van's oil pressure hose (complete) is $18.75 - I know I couldn't build one for that!

Paul

Dont know what-

the availability of braided teflon is in Sweden, but it makes a lighter assembly versus 303. And, it doesnt have a service life like 303 hose. Assembled properly (even with reusable fittings) and firesleeved, its service life is virtually unlimited, but inspections are recommended.
Tom