jtdehaan

I have been having problems with the oil pressure indication in the D-180. I have changed the oil press regulator ball to the cone shaped bullet type, that was no help. Then I moved the transmitter from the engine to the firewall and that seemed to work for a while, but now it does not correct the problem. The problem is that the indication bounces all over, quite ofter into the yellow zone and occasionally into the red zone (on the low side), with the oral warning going off. This is frustrating to say the least. In addition the low oil pressure warning goes off at every startup because it takes a while for the oil to reach the transmitter through that small orifice.
In addition to the oil press ind problem I am also still getting low current and low fuel pressure warnings, but I have learned to live with that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Jake - s/n 120025 with 198 hours

Last edited:
Curious - -

did you use the Lockwood, or similar kit, for the remote sender setup ?

John Bender
430,6 hours as of today

Don't rule out sending the d180 to Dynon. I had to 3 times to get correct readings. It appears you have done everything else. Make sure you have good confirmed grounds.
You might want to consider a faulty sending unit. They are not very good. Mine lasted 40 hours. The fuel pressure sender only lasted 60 hours.

Last edited:
Air in sensor line

Hey Jake,

At least part of the problem may be that that long line to the relocated sensor is full of air. For sure that is the reason for the slow build up of oil pressure on start up, and may also be causing some of the bouncy indications.

I would loosen the oil line at the sensor and hold a rag handy start the engine and bleed the line. Be patient as it takes a while to fill the line thru that small orifice. And be careful with that prop turning!

This will cost nothing and is easy to do and should help to determine if you actually have an equipment problem.

Best of luck to you. We all seem to have some pesky indications on the electronic indicators.:(

Tony

Another question. Does the case of the transmitter need to be grounded? It is mounted with a rubber adel clamp, could that cause a problem?

Jake

Don't think so - -

I attached mine to the rad hose near the firewall so that it was lower than the engine fitting. Self bled that way. Sounding more like a ground or Dynon problem. Check the ground wire to the base lower part of the swich panel maybe.

John Bender