nmontei

Hello,

I have a IO-360-A1A that I'm not getting any oil pressure in, The engine has sat for the last 2 years so I'm guessing the oil pump needs to be primed, how do I do this? Also this engine is out of a Pitts that was ground looped, It was rebuilt and used for 64 hours before the ground loop, but I do not have the logs from before the rebuild, how do I know that all of the AD's have been compleated, and do i need to have them done to have my plane airworthy?

Thanks,
Nick

Pumping oil into the oil cooler hose or fitting, in the center of the accessory housing, on the back of the engine, will pump oil directly into the oil pump.
Turning the engine over by hand backwards while pumping the oil into the fitting should prime it up very well.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Vacuum

I have used a vacuum pump connected to the oil pressure gauge fitting and sucked oil through on an IO 520 Conti before. I bleed brakes this way by going from the vac pump to a 1 gallon Jar lid and another fitting from the jar lid to the bleed screws so you don't hydraulic lock the vacuum pump.

Regards,

Inverted Oil?

If the Pitts had an inverted oil system make sure the plug in the sump has been removed. I fought oil pressure for a long time in my A1A, and didn't discover the plug until I removed the sump. Its located at the end of the oil screen "tunnel."

A 2-gallon paint pressure pot is an excellent way to pre-oil the engine. I used a new paint hose and meticulously cleaned the pickup tube in the pot and connected the hose to the center fitting like Mahlon said. Put an AN plug in the disconnected oil cooler hose, set fluid pressure on the pot to about 40 PSI, and pumped 4 quarts into the engine in about 15 seconds. Worked like a charm.

Heinrich Gerhardt