N710B

I have the vans oil pressure gauge and have seen intermittent readings. I'm considering going to a mechanical gauge, and getting rid of the transducer. What have others done?

Thanks, Dave

The transducers have a limited life - they go flakey. Add 1" round mechanical gauge, but keep the electric one, as it probably is connected to some sort of alarm.

Think this through: If you are airborne, and your electric gauge says your oil pressure is low or zero, what are you going to do?

[QUOTE
Think this through: If you are airborne, and your electric gauge says your oil pressure is low or zero, what are you going to do?[/QUOTE]

ill second that. ;)

If you have an engine monitor, consider one sender connected to the engine monitor, and a second sender connected to the stand-alone van's gauge. That way you'll always have a second opinion when it comes to oil pressure.

Bevan

[QUOTE
Think this through: If you are airborne, and your electric gauge says your oil pressure is low or zero, what are you going to do?

I guess you are going to land.

What are you going to do if that oil line thats pumping oil into your cockpit fails? Happened to my dad in a newly restored Champ, 18 hours, it failed and he got to make his first and only crash landing. He was OK but flying kind of lost its appeal after that.

An electrical guage can fail by faulty power or ground connection, or faulty sender or the guage itself. but its probably not going to pump engine oil on your feet if it fails.

It needs a much shorter oil line for the electrical set up, not 3ft or so to get to the guage of a mechanical.

my $ .02