SGS-MN

Well Known Member
Anyone out there know if a 200 hp oil pan will fit a 180 oil pan? Seems the holes line up decent enough, am also wondering if the intake tubes will work out. Seems hard to find a forward injector for the 180 while 200 pans are fairly common.

I have a horiz intake into a 200 hp pan on a 180 hp engine and ran into intake tube/exhaust pipe issues. The original owner welded up some intake tubes to work with one set of Vetterman exhaust pipes. When I changed to 4-into-1 they would not fit up because of the non-standard intakes. I got some help from the engine builder in Canada - I've forgotten their name. THey had the right intake pipes.

Spacers needed

Jack,
I was hoping someone else would reply to your questions. I've been told that the IO-360-Axx sump/intake tube combination will fit on the parallel valve 360 cubic inch engines. My source says that you will have to fabricate four 3/16" thick spacers from aluminum plate to get this to work. It seems that the angle valve intake tubes will be a bit short for the parallel valve motor.
The spacers can be fabricated using a intake tube to cylinder head port gasket as a guide. You may also have to replace the studs [with longer units] on the intake ports which allow the intake tube to be secured to the cylinder head. This would be due to the added thickness of the spacer. A second gasket [per tube] will also be required.

John,
Could you provide photos or more info regarding the exhaust interference problems you had? Did you find spacers necessary?

Charlie Kuss

Pictures!

Charlie - Here's a link to some photos of my 4-into-1 installation where I ran into intake tube problems.

http://tangodelta.smugmug.com/Airplanes/N247TD-4-into-1-installation/5634125_B9MHz/1/348731551_UDmCe

I checked my old emails and Sue at Aero Sport Power helped me.
www.aerosportpower.com
Phone: (250) 376-2955
She was very good to work with and the intake pipes she sold me fit right first time!

My sump was from a IO-360-A1F6D (I think) 200 hp engine supposedly from a Cessna Cardinal. My cylinders etc. are parallel valve IO-360 cylinders, rods etc. All the accessories seem to be from the A1F6D

I would look up the receipt from Aeropower but the receipts file is in Illinois in storage and I'm in Texas. If someone wants to call Sue and give her my name she should be able to look up my order and get the part numbers. I ordered the pipes in July 2008.

This would be a lot easier than making spacers, and I'm not sure the spacers would have made everything fit up correctly. The spacers would probably be less expensive though.

The pans for the forward facing induction, from Lycoming, are the same for 180 HP and 200HP. The intake pipes are different. If you want stock fit pipes you need to get the ones appropriate to the engine you have. As Charlie suggests the 200 HP pipes will work on the 180 HP motor with some spaces and special fitting of the pipes. The 200 HP pipes on the 180HP engine, won't be stock 180hp pipes but they can be made to work.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Spacer info and photos

Jack,
Bill Wightman converted an IO-360-C1C [rear facing horizontal induction] sump to his parallel valve engine. He converted it to forward facing [this rearward to forward conversion only works on tail dragger RVs] I mention this because in his very detailed post link below, he shows 2 photos of the spacers I referred to in my first post. See his post here.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=248942&postcount=27

Lots of good induction info available if you are willing to read through 5 pages of that entire thread. See below

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=33171

Charlie Kuss

PS Here is a link to John's [Bubblehead] adventure in setting up his horizontal induction system. Lots of good info here. See

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=31370&highlight=intake+tube+part+number

Last edited:
Bill did a beautiful job of documenting what he did.

Also, after reading all 5-pages of the thread I learned a lot about horiz vs vert. Good reading.

Charlie - thanks for drawing the links together and doing the homework on this.

Part numbers for intake pipes

I checked with Aerosport Power (thanks Sue) to get the part numbers of the tubes I bought and installed in July 2008. Here they are:

APS42E22611
APS42E22612
APS42E22613
APS42E22614

Spacers are probably cheaper but these tubes worked fine.

Charlie Kuss and I conversed via email and I think I can say what engine I have.

It's an 180 hp O-360 A1F6D with a sump from a IO-360-A1B6. This gave it horizontal induction. The fuel injection system is a RSA-5EX which according to Don Rivera "is a RSA-5 fuel servo that has been rebuilt for experimental use. All parts are standard RSA-5 parts. It is calibrated to P/L 2524450 flow sheet."

So to my mind I have a IO-360 A1F6D even though Lycoming never made such an animal! It runs good though!

Now if I could just figure out if AD's pertained to my engine! JUST KIDDING!