Tom McCutcheon

Well Known Member
I have an O-320 E2D with a mechanical fuel pump on the accessory case. I have recently noticed a bit of oil which seems to be coming from the fuel pump. No oil from anywhere above the fuel pump. Does anyone know if this is an indication of needing to change the fuel pump?

Fuel pressure is always about 5 lbs. Oil does not seem to be coming from between the pump and accessory case but more from around the perimiter of the pump. All screws seem to be tight.

Thank you in advance for any help. :)

Tom, if you are getting little drops on the bottom side of each of the bolts that holds the fuel pump together, then my O-320 B2B has been that way for the past 8.7 years and 1,855 flying hours. As near as I can tell, this is coming from the fuel pump on my airplane. This is the only place on my engine that has any oil leaking.

Gary

Tom McCutcheon said:
I have an O-320 E2D with a mechanical fuel pump on the accessory case. I have recently noticed a bit of oil which seems to be coming from the fuel pump. No oil from anywhere above the fuel pump. Does anyone know if this is an indication of needing to change the fuel pump?

Fuel pressure is always about 5 lbs. Oil does not seem to be coming from between the pump and accessory case but more from around the perimiter of the pump. All screws seem to be tight.

Thank you in advance for any help. :)

That seems to be a typical oil leak on Lycomings. I have had that same condition on an 0-320 and two O-360's. Not to worry, unless it gets worse. I still get 18-20 hrs a qt. You might see a little from the prop gov., too, if you have one.

Roberta

robertahegy said:
You might see a little from the prop gov., too, if you have one.

Hi Roberta,

Do you mean a bit of oil coming out of the governor near control arm? I have this problem on my engine, it seems to slightly mist the firewall just behind the governor. I had been meaning to ask if this is common.

Tom,

I had oil leaking from the overflow that I suspect was coming through a ruptured diaphragm.

Had to replace it because of the SB/AD anyway problem resolved.

I've never seen any misting, just a doober that just seems to hang on a screw head, but never seems to drip. It might even be residual from filter changes. Not sure.

Roberta