moll780

Well Known Member
I have a leak and need to replace this gasket.
I called Aircraft Spruce but they dont show a part number for the gasket.
Anyone recommend a source for this part?

Its the gasket at the base of the tube where it screws into the engine.
thanks!

We put a new 0-320 in our club 172. On first annual I helped our A&P with the engine portion. I noticed that the tube was loose and leaking, I grabbed it and hand tightened it. He said it was not worth the effort to torque and re safety wire. Later at OSH I talked to a guy at the LYC tent, he told me that it would come loose twice, just to retorque, re-safety and after the second time it would not leak again.

I don't know if this is fact or not. Some of the long time Lyc guys should confirm, but that is the story.

I hate leaks and plan to address each one to keep the engine dry.

I'd also rather not have it leaking.
I've re-torqued it several times already and fear that if will put any more pressure I will crack it or worse.

I have my conditional coming up in Jan and want to take care of this when I have the cowling off.

We put a new 0-320 in our club 172. On first annual I helped our A&P with the engine portion. I noticed that the tube was loose and leaking, I grabbed it and hand tightened it. He said it was not worth the effort to torque and re safety wire. Later at OSH I talked to a guy at the LYC tent, he told me that it would come loose twice, just to retorque, re-safety and after the second time it would not leak again.

I don't know if this is fact or not. Some of the long time Lyc guys should confirm, but that is the story.

I hate leaks and plan to address each one to keep the engine dry.

Search the archives here in the forums... there is already a lot of previous discussion and lot of different remedies for making it not leak again.

The best one is stop over tightening the dip stick.
Most everyone tightens way beyond what is needed. Then the engine cools and it requires a high torque to get it loose during the next preflight. That is when the tube turns and breaks the seal.

1/8 of a turn Maximum, after the o-ring contacts the tube, slightly less is even better. It is more than enough to keep it from coming loose.

Use a piece of thin silicone baffle material and make your own - the preload from the silicone will prevent it from coming loose and it will never leak. Be sure to safety wire it up though :)

Tite-Seal

Mine started leaking and a I applied a copious amount of Tite-Seal. So far, so good.

Don

Use a piece of thin silicone baffle material and make your own - the preload from the silicone will prevent it from coming loose and it will never leak. Be sure to safety wire it up though :)

Or buy the certified thick silicone one from Real Gasket, much better than the thin cardboard Lycoming one -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LYCOMING-DI...35-O-290-AND-SEE-BELOW-RG-72059-/271291171699

RG-72059 DIPSTICK TUBE BASE GASKET PMA Each $3.00

From here -

http://www.realgaskets.com/files/horizontal.htm

I ordered one of the gaskets from real gasket. Do you install these dry? coat with oil? Silicone grease? RTV?