dbaflyer

Well Known Member
Each of my cylinders has 2 bolts on the top of the case. The 2 by #1 cylinder appear to be leaking oil. The one in this photo has a pool of oil on top of it. Not sure what these bolts do but can they leak?

Attachments

• IMG_4915.jpeg
    IMG_4915.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 125
Your case seal looks to be leaking if it is in fact coming from the top. There are oil ports near the front middle and back of the case in these locations to oil the camshaft. High pressure oil is in those areas, yes it is possible. If it doesn’t leak much and is more of a seeping leak, then it’s not really an issue. If it’s a large leak then it’s something you should look into to as it may get worse.

Actually now I see oil on the cap screws you are asking about, I don’t have those on my engine so idk.

To track down where oil is coming from, you can use a black light in a dark hangar, I know Phillips X/C and Victory blends glow by black light. Then you can be sure it’s coming from that spot. I was thinking the case seam.

Those are probably fittings for roller cam. The leak is likely from the case split. Get rid of the adel clamp, install new lock washer and retorque that bolt. Check torque on the other two bolts. If it still leaks clean off the paint and coat the slit with a bit of fuel tank sealer.

thanks for the info. Will look at the case again. I know oil flows in mysterious ways under the cowl but it seems really odd for oil to have pooled on top of that bolt without having major oil around the base of the nut