SMO

Well Known Member
Friend
I had a Christen inverted oil system on my RV-4 (320-E2A), and recently removed this. I removed the plug inside the sump and put in a new proper length screen. The "to" oil cooler line is at location "B" on page 5 of this document http://www.yeeles.com/Reference/Hi-Temps.pdf

After doing this and ground running the engine I find I have an oil leak - ended up with a 4" puddle under the accessory case. May be coming from the Type 2 Thermostatic By-Pass valve as shown on page 2 of the above document, or may be coming from the oil filter. The oil is clean so hard to tell exactly. I did not change the filter as there was only 5 hours on it since the last change.

Oil pressure is steady at about 70 psi, even at idle.

My question is, are there normally some other modifications with a Christen system that I need to reverse? I am wondering if I am getting extraordinary pressure in the system somewhere.

After removing the Christian inverted system the oil pressure will be higher and you can back it off with the pressure adjuster if needed..... But from your post that really should have nothing to do with the leak.

De-cowl run it and look for the leak in action.

Did you use a "NEW" crush washer and tighten the plug cap for the suction screen correctly?

Last edited:
Hmmmm

Did you use a "NEW" crush washer and tighten the plug cap for the suction screen correctly?

I don't recall if I used a new crush washer there, however the leak is occurring higher up than that. I will take a closer look at that plug. Can you explain the correct method for tightening this plug?

You are supposed to use a new crush washer each time. They are cheap. No procedure for using an old one.

If you use a new one tighten until the washer is hand tight..... then wrench it slightly less than 1/2 turn ( 3/8 of a turn to be exact) I have seen references the seam goes against the case and against the plug..... guess it depends on the "expert" you talk to on that one.

Last edited: