RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I have and IO-360 with two Bendix mags. I've been doing a lot of acro here lately and when I zero G the airplane I'm getting alot of oil out of the engine. I have and air oil separator and get a small amout out the tube of that but there seems to be some coming out of the two small holes in the side of the mag cases.

Next, yesterday I did a mag check and the when I switched off the left mag on the mag check the engine died. Just like turning off both mags, just instant quit. Several minutes later they both worked like a champ. Smooth engine.

I've checked all the wires and all is right there. Correct continuity and all according to mag switch position.

I took the cap off the back of the right mag and there was about a teaspoon of oil inside the cap around the plug wires.

My question is, will this cause the mag to stop working or am I on the wrong track here?

Any thoughts from you engine guru's would be appreciated.

I had the mags rebuilt last year, approx 150 hours on them now, but don't know if replacement of the oil seals is standard in a rebuild.

There should be no oil in the mags, you have a problem and yes it will cause problems, get it fixed before you continue flying!

Mag maintenance

There should be no oil in the mag, aerobatics or not.
The seal is replaced in a true "rebuild" and should be for most maintenance actions.
I had a customers mag with oil in it after 50 hours, mag had seal installed backwards.
Don

Off to the mag shop

Thanks guys for the responses.

When I removed the right mag about a quarter cup of oil drained out the back of the mag.
Talked to Shawn at Maxwell Magnetos and he said also, NOT GOOD. Sent them back to have him put new seals in.

Can't wait to get upside down some more :)