bobmarkert

Well Known Member
I can?t find any guidance one way or another regarding putting a drop of oil on the threads before running the bolt into the nutplate. Anybody have any guidance?
Thanks
Bob Markert
RV8 Wings slow build

I use a dab of boelube on every screw before I run it into the nutplate. Be especially careful with stainless hardware. It can gall after just a few runs in and out. You can get boelube from Avery's or most of the other A/C suppliers.

Karl

Use Boelube. Especially on #6 screws. No mess like oil. Just rub each screw/bolt into the boelube and the screw will trun musch easier. The friction heat actually helps melt the boelube.

Vic

For fasteners in the floor pans, rear baggage bulkhead, wing tips and other non-critical areas, I ran a tap thru the nutplates. They are still left with a small amount of prevailing torque, but it sure makes life easier. You should consider this, especially for fasteners that you will be installing and removing fairly often. Incidentally, if you intend on using lube on fasteners that you plan to run up to torque spec, don't. Most fastener specs are written without lube, unless a very specific type and specific amount is stated. As for stainless fasteners, I would suggest that you tap the nutplates wherever possible. As pointed out, stainless is very abrasive, and will lead to galling and thread stripping, especially on multiple re-use or with a long run-down (you can feel the heat right thru the bolt.)
Terry

Thanks guys, I have boelube and will use that. I'm just installing the nutplates on the spar fot the tank attachment. I will run a tap through the non structural nutplates (wing tips etc) and espically for the SS ones.
Thanks
Bob Markert
RV8 Sloooow build wings