Hey out there all you learned ones. I'm curious if anyone has thoughts or if anyone has used remote automotive oil filter setup on O-320.

Thanks
Pat

If you're referring to changing an O-320 from an internal screen to an external, spin-on filter setup, yes, my O-320 is like that as are most of the RV's on my home field. This is simlar to an "automotive" setup in that it uses an external, spin-on filter, but it does use aviation filters. Is that what you had in mind?

remote

Thought he maybe meant remote as in remote mounting or something.
The normal spin-on filter on the back of the motor is awfully easy to deal with.

Hey out there all you learned ones. I'm curious if anyone has thoughts or if anyone has used remote automotive oil filter setup on O-320.

Thanks
Pat

When I built my RV-6 many years ago the O-320 E2D only had the screen so I mounted an automotive filter adapter to the firewall:

finish35.jpg

Details about the part numbers can be found about mid-page (please note a Champion aircraft filter was used):

http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/engine2.html

However, the casting had problems and I could never fix the leaks. I removed the mount and when the engine was overhauled a few months later a proper filter adapter was mounted to the accessory case:

overhaul-17.jpg

I like the later installation better.

Last edited:
Oil Filter

Correct, the engine has no filter presently. Seems to be a lot of very good automotive filters available. Always looking for a cheaper alternative as long as it doesn't affect safety.
While we're talking about it, how many hours are considered acceptable for oil changes without filter?

Thanks
Pat

We installed a Wolfe remote mount on the Cozy MKIV, IO-360. It adds complexity, more locations for leaks or failure, a WHOLE LOT OF EXTRA WEIGHT, costs a lot of $$$, and its still a mess to change the filter plus we have to now remove the lower cowling which is a PITA. I would look into modifying the engine to accept the standard recommended aircraft filter. Your looking at about a $10 difference in cost for an aircraft filter in comparison to a quality automotive filter.

Testing has shown that the stock screen actually does a pretty good job compared to a paper filter, or Airwolf screens. Money saved on a $20 filter could go towards more frequent oil changes. Also, it's easier to inspect/clean than it is to cut a filter can. So maybe adding a filter is not something to agonize over. Personal choice, I guess.

I had a setup almost identical to what Sam used (below) on my old Stinson.

finish35.jpg

I got the oil from the cooler supply line, and fed the clean oil back into the cooler.

Never had any issues with it in 18 or so years of use.

I did use an aircraft filter on the automotive mount.

Testing has shown that the stock screen actually does a pretty good job compared to a paper filter, or Airwolf screens. Money saved on a $20 filter could go towards more frequent oil changes. Also, it's easier to inspect/clean than it is to cut a filter can.

Agree. The average pilot flies around 50 hrs per year. You change your oil in the spring and fall after 25 hours. Who needs a filter? If the engine starts making metal, you will see it in the screen. The engine will rust-out long before it wears out from particles that a filter would catch. Don't buy into the filter-lobby hype! Ha! (Full disclosure: I have a filter. :) )

I had a setup almost identical to what Sam used (below) on my old Stinson.

finish35.jpg

I got the oil from the cooler supply line, and fed the clean oil back into the cooler.

Never had any issues with it in 18 or so years of use.

I did use an aircraft filter on the automotive mount.

Something to note?.
If you use the oil cooler line as a supply to the filter you will only be filtering all the oil when the vernatherm is sending all the oil through the cooler. Whenever your oil is not up to temp, there is very limited oil flow to the cooler and thus very limited flow through the oil filter with that type of delivery setup.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Mahlon is correct for a Lycoming.

My Stinson had a Franklin engine, and as I seem to remember the oil thermostat being on the oil cooler itself, but not too sure, lotta years ago. I was following a previous installation done by the Stinson club tech guy, he got it approved on a 337, and then supplied copies of the paperwork to club members. I just followed what the paperwork said.

I have an O-320 E2D in my Thorp T-18 with a Lycoming oil filter adapter (straight out the back) that leaves precious little room for a filter (under 4 inches) before the engine mount causes interference problems...

The filter that works and is every bit as good as an aviation filter in the K&N 1009, it is used in racing applications and has a 1 inch welded nut like an aviation filter to assist in removal and torquing and costs about $11 Cdn.