brian

Well Known Member
I realize there is a published torque value for Champion oil filters (16-18 ft lb), but I don't see any way to get onto mine (-6A with O-320) with anything but the "back" or "inside" side of a box-end wrench.

I read a Light Plane Maintenance article on oil & filter changes (http://www.lightplane-maintenance.com/Oil_LPM_0705.html) that also mentions "... or [if you] can't get a wrench onto the filter, tighten the number of turns as specified on the can after the gasket contacts the adapter pad", but my filter doesn't say anything how far to turn it after the gasket makes contact.

Do any of you have any info or experience with how much to tighten the filter if it's impossible to get a torque wrench onto it?

thanks,
brian

Last edited:
Make sure you lube the gasket. I mark the filter and tighten approx. between 3/4 and 1 turn.

DC-4

yep, I put the recommended Dow Corning DC-4 lube onto it. Many thanks for the tip, as well as the one on the fuel float.
brian

Last edited:
I highly recommend one of the dedicated oil filter torque wrenches. It makes both access and proper torque very easy. One of my favorite tools.

under torqued is better than over torqued.. tempest has a very nice purpose built oil filter torque wrench that is quite handy (at aircraft spruce http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/AA472.php).

That is a neat wrench put don't think it would fit into the firewall recess on the RV-6.

Make sure you lube the gasket. I mark the filter and tighten approx. between 3/4 and 1 turn.

This is the method I've used with Champion, Tempest and Kelly filters--it has proved to be very satisfactory......including the time someone forgot to safety wire the filter......

That is a neat wrench put don't think it would fit into the firewall recess on the RV-6...

I use it successfully on my RV-6. The entire tool doesn't really fit into the recess but it works when you put the handle right against the firewall. The handle may be skewed slightly but it really works well.

Slip a box or open end on the filter. At the other end use a nut & bolt. Put your torque wrench on this and use like a long crows foot. Torque setting on wrench = specified torque x torque wrench length divided by torque wrench length added to combo wrench length. Standard trick for torquing tight access stuff.

I've used both torque and the 3/4 turn methods, and remarkably, they end up very close to the same spot. The Kelly filter used to have the 3/4 turn printed on the filter can.

Paul

I've used both torque and the 3/4 turn methods, and remarkably, they end up very close to the same spot. The Kelly filter used to have the 3/4 turn printed on the filter can.

Paul

Since $$$ is of a limited quantity for me, I have used this method without ever getting a drop of oil from the filter or having difficulty taking it off.