Paul Eastham

Well Known Member
Pardon my ignorance at the most mundane of all maintenance tasks...

I'm trying to unscrew my Tempest filter to see if it's going to interfere with the engine mount (90-degree adapter installed) -- but can't get it to come loose. I've used an adjustable wrench on the hex-shaped deal at the top, but the torque and slipping of the wrench on the poorly-shaped hex region is starting to cause damage to the filter.

Do I need to get a strap-style wrench for this job, or pull out the big guns (1.5 foot adjustable wrench)?

(filter was installed by Aerosport, I wonder if they over-torqued it or didn't dress the gasket?)

Sounds like they DID NOT use lubrication on the rubber seal. I used MINERAL OIL (non AD break-in oil) on the rubber seal on my FIRST oil filter just like you would on a car. I almost could not get it off and needed a STRAP wrench. Yes I amost destroyed the filter on the airplane but I did get it off.

When the new filter goes on, lubricate with the recommened Dow Corning product or else use Lubeaplate.

You may be able to get it off with the larger wrench but you may need to use a strap wrench this one time.

Weak nuts...

RV6_flyer said:
When the new filter goes on, lubricate with the recommened Dow Corning product or else use Lubeaplate.

You may be able to get it off with the larger wrench but you may need to use a strap wrench this one time.

...and you might find that the "nut" on the top of the filter is only held on by 6 very small spot welds.... and it's easy to torque the nut completely off the filter.... :) ..guess how I found out..... :D

Use the recommended DC-4 lubricant like Gary says... it's worth the reduced hassle...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/dc4.php

gil in Tucson

Paul Eastham said:
I've used an adjustable wrench on the hex-shaped deal at the top, but the torque and slipping of the wrench on the poorly-shaped hex region is starting to cause damage to the filter.

I couldnt think of a worse tool for the job.

Strap wrench, or a 6 point socket, however as stated above, you can remove the hex stamping from the can rather easily.

Mike

nutz

AW Nutz!
Use Dow 4 compound for all future oil filter installations... 1/4 to1/2 turn past hand tight is just about right... disclamer... use a tq wrench. Use a 1"socket or my favorite snap on stubby 1" or craftsman long 1" box end. If you have to... stick an awl through there and twist.
The gasket tightens when the engine runs... Life is good
Brian Wallis
AP/IA