Finley Atherton

Well Known Member
Last time I changed my Tempest oil filter I noticed that the filter assembly inside was loose. With the old oil drained out I could gently/moderately shake the filter up and down and could hear the filter assembly thunking and moving. The filter assembly is held in place by a piece of spring steel between the top of the outer housing and the filter assembly. I presume that for what ever reason this piece of spring steel was not pressing down hard on the filter assembly. I am guessing that some oil may have been able to go between the base of the filter assembly and the base of the outer housing by-passing the filter element.

I have removed and checked the new Tempest filter after about 5 hours use and it is OK with no movement of the filter assembly so I wonder if I had a dud filter and was this a one-off?

Also I was surprised when I removed the new filter there was no oil in the filter. I had gone flying the previous evening and it had drained overnight. Is this normal? I would like to think that the filter would stay full of oil so pressure would build up quicker on start-up.

Fin
9A 0-320

Last edited: