Cadstat

Well Known Member
I've changed over 500 oil filters in a life time but never one on a Lycoming. Even did one of those toilet paper rolls in a canister after market ones. Remember those?
Some say torque it, others feel for it hand tight. Some say special lube/sealer works best, some say just oil the ring with your finger. Who knows?

I've changed over 500 oil filters in a life time but never one on a Lycoming. Even did one of those toilet paper rolls in a canister after market ones. Remember those?
Some say torque it, others feel for it hand tight. Some say special lube/sealer works best, some say just oil the ring with your finger. Who knows?

Jon, My only experience with aircraft oil filters is with Lycoming O320 E2d and E3d oil filters. For the 28 years and over 80 filter changes that I did on my Piper Warrior, I would use a film of fresh oil in the filter gasket and torque the filter as instructed on the side of the filter.

On my RV6A, the torque wrench would not fit back in the recess of the firewall so I bench checked the torque with a filter adapter mounted in a vise. I screwed the filter down to gasket contact and marked the filter. Then I torqued the filter to spec. 16 to 18 lb. ft. The mark on the filter indicated that the filter was rotated 3/4 of a turn. For the last 15 oil changes on my six A, I install the filter with a filter band wrench 3/4 of a turn and have had no problem removing the used filter with the same wrench.

Jon, My only experience with aircraft oil filters is with Lycoming O320 E2d and E3d oil filters. For the 28 years and over 80 filter changes that I did on my Piper Warrior, I would use a film of fresh oil in the filter gasket and torque the filter as instructed on the side of the filter.

On my RV6A, the torque wrench would not fit back in the recess of the firewall so I bench checked the torque with a filter adapter mounted in a vise. I screwed the filter down to gasket contact and marked the filter. Then I torqued the filter to spec. 16 to 18 lb. ft. The mark on the filter indicated that the filter was rotated 3/4 of a turn. For the last 15 oil changes on my six A, I install the filter with a filter band wrench 3/4 of a turn and have had no problem removing the used filter with the same wrench.

Great advice for me. It's a 320 on a 6A! 3/4 of a turn is the stranded for the car filters as well.

Recommended torque for a Champion filter and preferred lubricant are listed on the side of the can. Torque for aircraft filter is quite a bit higher than for a car. That's why DC4 is called out. Also, they sometimes stay on a plane for years. It's nice to have them come off. I saw a very good A&P fight with one for two days once.

oil filter

Cadstat,

Lycoming o-320-e2a Champion filter ch 48110-1. Put a little fresh oil on gasket with your finger. Hand tight plus 3/4 turn.

Regards,

John

Cadstat,

Lycoming o-320-e2a Champion filter ch 48110-1. Put a little fresh oil on gasket with your finger. Hand tight plus 3/4 turn.

Regards,

John

Do this and you will over torque the filter. As I said above, I checked the torque and it is 3/4 turn from gasket contact. This is the same filter as I tested.

As far as an oil filter sticking on the contact surface, I have never had a filter stick on any aircraft or auto that I have ever owned. Maybe it only happens if they are installed too tight and left on for years.

A standard band wrench of the proper size for the filter (same as most V8 Ford filters) will work just fine..............