Aden Rich

Well Known Member
Hi All,
I am back in the RV building game (don't know if you ever really leave) but I recently ordered my ECI engine kit. I will put it together myself as I have done with all my engines for my planes. This one comes with a lot of neat little options one of which is a 90 degree oil filter adapter. What I need to know is two things: What size of spacer is needed to clear the engine mount for an RV-6 and will this fit under the cowling with plenty of clearance or, does it have to be rotated to fit right? Anyone with experience on this? Thanks, Aden.

Last edited:
Depends on which adaptor you have.

The straight back adaptor does not need a spacer and for my money is the leats messy for oil changes (as long as you use a long channel to catch the drips)

The "angled up" adaptor really needed a 1/2" to 3/4" spacer on the RV7...Champion filters would fit, but Kelleys would not.

I changed to the straight back adaptor as the angled up adaptor dumped too much oil that I didn't find a way to catch.

This was all on the RV 7 however.

Frank

OI filter

I had the straight back one on my last airplane and it wasn't to bad to catch the oil. I thought these new ones with the 90 degree adapter where supposed to cure all that. I take it this is not the case? But you needed a 3/4" spacer to clear the mount. Vans sales one that is 1.5" and indicated that it should work on most models. Is that correct or do I need to get the smaller spacer. Thanks, Aden.

Punch...

....a hole in the top rear of the angled up filter while you go about draining the oil and so on. The Mazda RX 7's had an inverted oil filter and that's what they recommended.

On my straight back oil filter, I punch a hole in the top rear, then undo the filter half a turn and punch another hole in the top rear. I place a cup on the cabin heater box to catch the oil that drains out of the filter. After it's done draining, I remove it with little mess.

Regards,

I have the standard straight oil filter adapter on a Superior IO-360 engine. I removed the filter after installing the engine and I couldn't believe how difficult it was to remove. It was impossible to use a wrench on the top of the filter due to not enough clearance between the top of the filter and the firewall recess. It will be impossible to torque the filter back on due to the same problem using a socket.

I saw the 90 degree adapter and thought it would be the best deal. The price is about $275.00 at ACS. (Ouch)

Is there a method you experianced Lycoming users use to get the filter off & torque it on the straight adapter or do you recommend spending the money on the 90 degree adapter.

Your advice is much appreciated.

3/4 turn

open ended wrench slipped down behind the back of the oil filter...Tighteh 3/4 turn after gasket contact...Easy!

A lot better than 275 bucks!...:)

Frank

3/4 turn

Thanks Frank. I tried to use a box end wrench and it would not get in there. I never tried an open end wrench. I will try that.

Thanks