RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I just received my SD20 backup alternator in the mail and figured out that it will not fit on the vacuum pad with the OFA 2.5" spacer that came with my TMX IO-360. Mattituck provides their OFA which is cast aluminum, as part of the package. I know I need to order the 3/4" spacer kit for the vacuum pad to extend out the SD20 some, and from my reading I will also need a 1.4" spacer for the OFA to sit on.

B&C sells the both these items but their 1.4" spacer is designed for their own OFA, my questions is has anyone used the B&C spacer with the OFA provided on the Mattituck engines?

If the B&C spacer is not compatible I will see if Mattituck has a spacer that is 1.4" or the cheaper route might be to have someone mill down the 2.5" spacer I have to 1.4". I think any machine shop can do this, but have never looked around for one.

I am assuming that the 1.4" spacer will still make the oil filter miss the Dynafocal engine mount. My engine is not currently on the mount but will soon have it on the hoist hanging in front to the mount to look at other install issues like cables and such. I have read where 1.4" OFA spacer along with SD20 3/4" spacer has worked on the RV-10 but waiting on one reply from an RV-8 builder to confirm this. As a last resort I will have to buy the hole set up from B&C and this is not cheap though will made from a solid block of aluminum.

Any help is appreciated
Cheers.

Any help is appreciated
Cheers.

The best help you'll get is from Mahlon - just give him a call or drop him a note. I knew that we'd have some fun getting the IO-320 to fit on the -3, and when I figured out where our pinch points were, I just called Mahlon and he was able to supply the 1.4" spacer for the oil OFA and the right dip stick tube. excellent service, he knew what I needed, and fast too!

When I did my '8,he had it equipped perfectly for the airframe and to accommodate an SD-8. I's not sure who makes the spacers he has, but I bet he can get you the right stuff.

Paul

The best help you'll get is from Mahlon - just give him a call or drop him a note. I knew that we'd have some fun getting the IO-320 to fit on the -3, and when I figured out where our pinch points were, I just called Mahlon and he was able to supply the 1.4" spacer for the oil OFA and the right dip stick tube. excellent service, he knew what I needed, and fast too!

When I did my '8,he had it equipped perfectly for the airframe and to accommodate an SD-8. I's not sure who makes the spacers he has, but I bet he can get you the right stuff.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the idea, I have already been in email contact with him, he offered to send the 1.4" spacer but said I could have one machined as well. I thought since I have to order the spacer kit for the SD20 I would just buy the spacer B&C sells, if it would be compatible with the OFA that Matti tuck put on the engine.

I am going to get a quote from a local machine shop on just cutting down the spacer I have and compare that with shipping out and back from NY.

Sounds like the 1.4" spacer will allow the filter to clear the mount which was my big concern.

Cheers