Junglepilot

Well Known Member
I have a new O-360 (non-certified built up from new parts). It was built up with the straight oil filter mount. Another RV8 builder locally suggested I change that now before I mount the engine with a 90 degree adapter.

When I measure (rearward clearance) on the engine stand and kind of guess at the distance it will have on the mount (already on the plane) to firewall, it appears the filter should have several inches of rearward clearance for when I spin it off for changes.

What is the consensus. Is this a mandatory, best practices, "worth the effort now-you'll be happy later", or strictly personal preference option?

Sandy

Thanks!

Thanks guys. I'm ready to hang this dude!

Do you all have any last minute advice on things to be done before hanging? I'm aware of the things like gascolator, battery box, etc. But in hindsight any gotcha items you can say "Do it before you hang the engine"?

Also the static ports were awesome! Great craftsmanship!

Thanks,

Sandy

Before you hang...

By the top right engine mount, be sure to thread in the Oil Pressure fitting. Otherwise, you may hang your engine twice!

sound/heat insulation

If you're going to put some sort of material on the firewall for sound or radiant heat insulation, it is far easier to put appropriate materials on the engine side of the firewall than on the cockpit side. First is the access for installation but more importantly, if it's on the engine side, any off gassing in a fire/heat event is far less critical than on the cockpit side.

There is a terrific thread with BIG contributions by Dan Hall about firewall insulation materials, and after reading this I had to redo my already-installed-insulation in the cockpit, under the panel. The material I had originally installed was the material he first tested and after seeing the video and changing my underwear I knew I had some work to do.

There is some material that the Lancair guys use on the engine side that is insulated and foil covered. I wished I had been able to use that but I didn't want to unhook my engine and everything on the firewall.

I ended up with an informed kluge that I'm comfortable with for safety, but it is not what I would call "best practices".

This is definitely one of those "I wish I knew that BEFORE I hung the enging" kind of things:D

Jeremy Constant
RV7A 100hrs

By the top right engine mount, be sure to thread in the Oil Pressure fitting. Otherwise, you may hang your engine twice!
Good advice.

Here is a picture of that fitting from my old engine:

(click to enlarge)

My new ECi O-360 has a second hole just above the mag pad. Either hole can be used but the one has to be plugged.