kenora

Hi, I have a O320 E2D in my Thorp T-18, the fellow I bouight it from had messed up the oil filter adapter (he forced a metric threaded filter onto the 3/4" 16 tpi stud, cross threading it). As a result I took it out and sought a replacement.

The local arcraft syupply house (Air Parts) has an experimental cubby hole in the back. When I explained my problem to the A&P he produced a 2 inch length on 3/4" 16 tpi pipe without a collar or depth stop of any kind (just a length on threaded pipe) saying that I could thread it right to the bottom of the Lycoming adapter. He indicated I could thread it in till it stopped and then screw the filter to the protruding end (I use a K&N HP1009 because the clearance it too tight to use a standard aviation filter, this filter is 3.6 inches tall).

Is he right?

I worry that I might be blocking an oil passage in the Lycoming adapter since the stud that came out of the hole was limited to about 3/4" pentration by a collar.

Thanks for any replies.

Tim in Winnipeg (T-18)

Tim,

I don't know the answer to your question. If you can't save your adapter have you considered a right angle adapter? That way you could use a regular filter. ECi make one that I got from AERO. I have an Airwolf remote filter fitted right now, it was more expensive than the right angle version (and probably no cleaner when changing the filter).

Pete

I bought a B&C 90 adapter but realized its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier to just replace the stud rather than re plumb the oil cooler.

Its for sale btw! (The B&C 90 degree adapter I mean).

Thanks

Tim