rv10soon

I have an older IO-540 D4A5 with an oil filler neck # 75761 that is 4.5" long and it interfers with the cowling. I can only put the cowling on with the oil door open. Where can I get a one inch shorter filler neck and dip stick?

Hank
832-640-6284

Cut one inch out of the center of the tube and bond it back together, using best practices, with glass cloth and epoxy. You can either cut an inch off the bottom of the dip stick or knock out the in the cap, cut an inch off there, redrill and replace the pin.
A bit of sanding, paint and no one will know. You can do this job faster then it would take to send your MC number to a supplier!

On my Superior 360 I cut the appropriate section out of the tube and used a scrap section of aileron push tube as a splice. The old tube slid very snugly into the scrap piece. I slathered a little proseal on the parts before final assembly and used several pulled rivets to hold it together. No way that thing is coming apart.

Oil Filler neck too long

Both good suggestions. I think I'll use a little of each and cut an inch out of the tube. Then with a wooden dowel inside the tube to keep it aligned, I'll fiberglass a splint to hold the two halves together. Then I'll remove the dowel and shorten the dip stick the same inch so the markings are still correct. I though about doing that originally but needed some reassurance first.
Hank