rvator9a

Well Known Member
Has anyone out there tried installing the oil door so that it swings inward to open instead of outward? I thought it might be possible to have it swing inward on a spring hinge so that internal pressure would keep it sealed in flight and it will be easy to just push open to check oil. I have the engine temporarily installed(no baffles) and it looks like I have room for it to swing inward. Any opinions or wisdom appriciated. Thanks Bob Collins

rvator9a said:
I have the engine temporarily installed(no baffles) and it looks like I have room for it to swing inward. Any opinions or wisdom appriciated.
Is your oil filler tube installed? I could be mistaken, but I think the oil filler tube will block the door from swinging inward, regardless of how it's hinged. Maybe not on your setup?

Yes, but some gotcha's

I got the design from http://www.vansairforce.net/BuilderMods.htm near the bottom.

I just built mine and am not quite finished. I think Roger did a better job than I did. One gotcha was that I thought it would clear the oil filler and the engine mount (RV-7A, Dyna Focal ,Superior 360). However, I did not correctly allow for the drop down inherent in the hinge itself. I still like it a lot. That said, I have not flown with it yet. One advantage is that you don't have to rely on the catch to hold it shut - cowl internal air pressure will do that. Start by planning the cut, cut carefully, tape the cutout piece in place with good release goo and then glass on the flange on the inside. Allow for where the hinge will go. Plan to have some extra thickness for the hinge, too. I hinged mine on the lower or outboard side. Mine is a Sam James cowl and thus is a little lower than a Van's cowl, thus closer to the engine mount tube. Another gotcha was that I did not do a good enough job of positioning the cutout piece when laying up the flange. The result is that I have to add a little filler to bring the surface back up, flush with the cowl.