RickWoodall

Well Known Member
Been reading the archives. I bought the hidden hinge but am not happy with vans elephant ear latches.

I have noticed many use the hartwell 5000-2 but they at $90 Ouch thats a lot. And most use x2.... Holly cow.

Someone suggested camloc km 610-64 but cant seem to find info on those. I see a few use the camloc twist fasterns like on the cowl (milspec or skybolts). Not sure that is my first choice yet.

Anyone have a good source for a nice secure quality latch at a reasonable price?

Thanks again. :)

Last edited:
How about a 5" piece of piano hinge? That is what I am using and it has been working great. It is completely hidden and it operates easily from the right air inlet.

Skybolt

Skybolt makes a set of fasteners specifically for the oil doors on RV's. I just purchased mine a few weeks ago ($20). They work really well and are the smaller version (2600 series) of what I have on my firewall (4000 series C-Locs)

2rcsl8h.jpg

2m35wte.jpg

Been reading the archives. I bought the hidden hinge but am not happy with vans elephant ear latches.

I have noticed many use the hartwell 5000-2 but they at $90 Ouch thats a lot.

Someone suggested camloc km 610-64 but cant seem to find info on those. I see a few use the camloc twist fasterns like on the cowl. Not sure that is my first choice yet.

Anyone have a good source for a nice secure quality latch at a reasonable price?

Thanks again. :)

Rick,

I have a Hartwell latch that I am replacing with another type (installing a different custom door/hinge/latch)

If you want it, I will sent my Hartwell to you. You really need 2 or you will need to stiffen the fiberglass door significantly.

Other stuff,...

The hartwells come in certified and non-certified. The difference is about $90 - $12 = $78 apiece. These little round flush ones come that way as well. You can get them for about $12 from Wicks and I understand that ACS has them as well but you have to ask for them.

Copy the fiberglass door in 040 alum sheet and you eliminate all the flexing problems with the doors as they heat up over time. No need for duplicate latches, etc.

Just another way to do the same thing :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bill S
7a flying this month

The hartwells come in certified and non-certified. The difference is about $90 - $12 = $78 apiece. These little round flush ones come that way as well. You can get them for about $12 from Wicks and I understand that ACS has them as well but you have to ask for them.

Copy the fiberglass door in 040 alum sheet and you eliminate all the flexing problems with the doors as they heat up over time. No need for duplicate latches, etc.

Just another way to do the same thing :)

Bill S
7a flying this month

Bill, that's the identical door set up I am installing. What is the wire attached to your door for?

WAG

I'm gonna take a WAG and guess that it's just a stray piece of safety wire that happend to be there when he clicked the photo.:confused:

Been wrong before, and surely will be wrong again:rolleyes:

try ebay

I have noticed many use the hartwell 5000-2 but they at $90 Ouch thats a lot. And most use x2.... Holly cow.

Someone suggested camloc km 610-64 but cant seem to find info on those. I see a few use the camloc twist fasterns like on the cowl (milspec or skybolts). Not sure that is my first choice yet.

I bought a block of 4 off ebay and sold the extra two on VAF which left cost to both of us at less than $10 per latch.
Just do a search on ebay for "hartwell latch" or "hartwell" and you should get a number of listings. Just did that and found block of 4 for about $20:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-Hartwell-Aircraft-Latch-Helicopter-Racecar-FASTENERS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ400025932781QQptZMotorsQ5fAviationQ5fPartsQ5fGear

Whatever you do, don't pay anybody $90/latch! Good luck.

......Someone suggested camloc km 610-64 but cant seem to find info on those.
Rick,

I installed the Camloc KM610-64 on two oil doors and also installed a pair of them for a baggage compartment modification. There is at least one vendor link, purchasing info and detail photos contained within the archives. Just type "KM610-64" into the "Search Forums" field and select "Show Posts" for a quick look at more in-depth information.

The going price at the Fly Market for Hartwell's was $10 this year - but I had already bought four from Wicks a month ago for their $10 price, so I was set. Love them, but won't pay ACS prices....

Paul

That makes me feel better...

I bought a pair of those 10$ ones at the fly market as well. Was kind of wondering if I was "getting what I was paying for". They 'looked' fine to me, but I was wondering what the extra 80 bucks would pay for...perhaps titanium?

Good to see others have done the same cost benefit analysis!:)

All Hartwell latches are not the same

...certified vs. non-certified notwithstanding.

I got 8 off Ebay for 10 bucks earlier this year. When I did the oil door I noticed that some appeared to be for a different panel thickness. Sure enough, when I looked closely I could see the component part numbers on the latch assembly, which includes a decimal value indicating the panel thickness offset for which they are intended. In my case, some were (going from memory) for .05" panels and some were .04". The former worked better for the Vans fiberglass door. Fortunately I realized I had 5 of the former and 3 of the latter, so I was Ok. I imagine that they are available for all sorts of panel thicknesses, so it might be useful to check when buying used latches, if possible.

Spring is a spring or not,...

Bill, that's the identical door set up I am installing. What is the wire attached to your door for?

Actually, it is a piece of piano wire and it simply snaps into place when the door is opened. The left end has a Z bent into it so you can just slide it in a small hole, the other end has a little V bent into to it so as the door opens, the wire flexs and then snaps into place. Another small hole with a cotter pin at the mid point and it's done. Simple, about 4 cents worth of piano wire, a nylon washer, and a small cotter pin.

Didn't have one of the small spings that goes on the hinge. Was playing around and "thunked" this up. Liked it and left it :)

Bill S
7a flying this month,.... or next!