Iou

I'm New Here
Bought a RV 6 which has not been flown in years. Running the engine on the ground after about 15 minutes the head temperature will reach 430 degrees and oil temperature will be 225 and still climbing. Engine is 0-360 1A1 is this normal? Thanks

A bit high for both...
I have a 6A with SamJames cowl/plenum setup that does not get that high in the pre-take-off time for me.

Since it hasn't been run in a while, check the baffles for leakage/bird-nests, the carb/injection system for blockage, and the oil cooler for both flows...

That being said, ground-running is hard on these systems because you can't get the same airflow around/through everything like you will in the air.

Reactions: Iou
Bought a RV 6 which has not been flown in years. Running the engine on the ground after about 15 minutes the head temperature will reach 430 degrees and oil temperature will be 225 and still climbing. Engine is 0-360 1A1 is this normal? Thanks
What RPM are you doing the ground run?

Have a friend who recently bought an RV-7A with similar temp problems on the same engine as yours. His issue was obvious -- bad baffling. Check that first. It's the cheapest and least time-consuming solution of those mentioned. Look for gaps or voids in the baffling. It should be a relatively even continuous flow of baffling all around; otherwise air may be escaping before it gets to the cylinders.

Not sure this will fix the oil pressure issue, but it's a place to start.

Chris

Reactions: Iou