Peter.Fruehling

Well Known Member
It's time to buy my oil cooler and like most RVer's I really don't want to be chasing oil temp issues in phase one. After searching the archives here, it seems that airflow has as much to do with oil temps as the cooler but getting the right cooler is important too.

In ordering all my firewall forward parts from Van's I see that they sell a Stewart Warner STYLE cooler which is what started me looking around because I wanted a real Stewart Warner based on everything I read. ...then I found the Aero Classic coolers.

The question I have is on anyone's impressions of the Aero Classic coolers. They are lighter and certainly less expensive but I'm more interested in keeping my oil temp in check than saving $100.

Is anyone flying one of these and if so...what are your impressions.

Thanks! - Peter

PS - I'll be cooling the oil in an Aero Sport IO-375-M1S with the extended James Cowl.

Setrab

A lot of people are using the Setrab 110. Lower cost, better cooling and lighter so it's less stress on the baffling.

I am not using one so can't say if what everyone says is true or not, however some of the Rocket guys who I trust are very big on them. There are a lot of threads that talk about them. Do a search on "Setrab."

It's time to buy my oil cooler and like most RVer's I really don't want to be chasing oil temp issues in phase one. After searching the archives here, it seems that airflow has as much to do with oil temps as the cooler but getting the right cooler is important too.

In ordering all my firewall forward parts from Van's I see that they sell a Stewart Warner STYLE cooler which is what started me looking around because I wanted a real Stewart Warner based on everything I read. ...then I found the Aero Classic coolers.

The question I have is on anyone's impressions of the Aero Classic coolers. They are lighter and certainly less expensive but I'm more interested in keeping my oil temp in check than saving $100.

Is anyone flying one of these and if so...what are your impressions.

Thanks! - Peter

PS - I'll be cooling the oil in an Aero Sport IO-375-M1S with the extended James Cowl.

I had to swap my original Niagra for a SW of the same size -- it resulted in a 10-15 degree drop.

My two cents? Buy the biggest and best oil cooler that will fit. You can always cover it up if you have too much cooling capacity. That's a lot easier than remaking the baffle later on if you find out your oil runs too hot.