jhiggins

Ok I read earlier threads about the Setrab oil coolers and thought I would give one a try. My Niagara just gets too warm for my comfort in the summer time. Does anyone have some installation photos they can share, and also how many hours have you used one? Are there any differences between the Setrab and the Mocal. I like the idea of the heavy duty version of the Mocal. Thanks

Welcome !!!!

Hey Jim, welcome to the force:D

Cant help with the cooler question, but someone will probably get on it soon.

Good to have you aboard.

As I understand it Mocal and Setrab are interchangable and essentially the same design.

I too preferred the slightly higher press rating of the Mocal and that the AN fittings are brazed on and not O-ring adapters, so I bought the Mocal 13 row. I also bought the Mocal mounts to not put undue stress in the wrong place.
I just finished making aluminum ducting mounts to attach my glass inlet and outlet to. I have not mounted it yet but it is pretty straight forward.

Wade, or anyone,
Any results from the Mocal or Setrab yet. What size did you use and what temps are you seeing? I'm considering one for my RV-8 with an ECI O-360, carbureted, 9:1 pistons, one lightspeed plasma III. My oil temps are running 200-205 in cruise up high with OAT's 55-60. It gets hotter in the traffic pattern or when flying formation. The highest I've seen is about 220. Formation norm is about 210. These are summertime temps in Cincinnati. I currently have the standard Van's Niagra cooler mounted on the rear baffle.

Scott

Sorry not flying yet, so no real data.

I think most oil cooler issues are install related, so make sure and give a thorough look to your air flow in/out, baffles, seal, ect..

Vans cooler crack

The highest I've seen is about 220. Formation norm is about 210. These are summertime temps in Cincinnati. I currently have the standard Van's Niagra cooler mounted on the rear baffle.

Just a data point and not meant to rob the thread- Vans cooler was leaking via a crack under the bottom reservoir. This was really starting to leak oil before I found it. Our temps where also a little high for this 6A- 200 plus for cruse or formation then 220+ for summer aerobatics: replaced with a slightly larger positech and reworked the opening with spacers and raised the cooler on the baffle with a larger opening.

Temps are down to 190 in cruse 205+ with aerobatics- much more manageable. I think the rework of the opening made a positive difference just as the much as the larger cooler- FWIW