Use spacers between the flanges over long bolts

I also built and installed a Superior O-360, but I used the stock oil cooler. I believe the key to not breaking the flanges is to use spacers between the flanges over long bolts that go thru both flanges. Therefore, the flanges are not being compressed, rather, they are just used to locate.

I know there are pics of this on Doug's website, but if you cannot find them I will be happy to take pics of my installation when I next remove the cowl.

141 hours thus far, no problems with the cooler.

Barry
Tucson

Setrab

Search the forums for "Setrab." There are a lot of posts of guys using the 110 or 113 coolers. Some Rockets are using them too.

I found one mounting flange has broken and another is cracked one third the length of the flange at the radius. A friend of mine with a RV6 experienced the exact same failure except both flanges on his Aero Classic were completely broken off!

Where do you have it mounted, on the firewall or aft baffle? Makes a big difference in vibration and craking. Typically the baffle would crack but the mounting flanges may crack due to engine vibration when mounted on the baffle.

I agree with the comment from Barry. Use spacers between flanges (no matter where it is mounted). Never clamp up on anything that has space between it or you will put stress (and strain) in the corner of the flanges and you will be that much closer to a crack before you add any load or vibration.

Also, Maybe the extra money for the SW is worth the peace of mind coming from the increase safety.

Mine is clamped up mounted to the firewall. No issues in 300 hours.

Here's the photo I promised.

Note that there are washers between the spacers, bolts, and every flange on the cooler. We used washers to distribute the load virtually everywhere and nut plates instead of nuts to secure the long bolts. You'll also note that the oil lines do not make 90 deg turns.

oilcooler.jpg