Paul Eastham

Well Known Member
Hey all,
I've got a frustrating problem with my oil cooler. First I carefully cut away the flanges near the engine mounts, that went fine. Then put in the first (steel) AN fitting: turned 3 revolutions by hand and another half-turn to the proper clocking, no problem. Second (steel) AN fitting: it turns in 1 revolution then comes to a dead stop. HARD. I can keep pushing but I'm pretty sure I'm just moving a burr around in there somewhere. I am using the provided Loctite sealer, of course.

On inspection I can barely see a very tiny flaw or cut on the face of one of the threads which might be causing the problem. Tried to smooth it out a little with a dental pick, no improvement. I've tried other fittings to rule out a problem on the fitting itself -- no joy.

This is the stock-from-Van's Aero-Classics cooler for O-320. Since I've already gone through the trouble of modifying it, is there an easy and safe way to fix it up, or should I beg Van's to send me a replacement? If they won't pay for it, is a rethread/overhaul much cheaper than getting a new one?

Thanks for any thoughts,
Paul

Last edited:
Paul,
Are you using aluminum fittings or steel fittings? Pacific strongly suggests that you use steel fittings in order to reduce the chance of galling the aluminum threads on the cooler. It doesn't make sense to me, but they are the experts. The also strongly suggest that you use teflon tape or thread dope to further reduce the chance of galling.

Flight critical.

tinman said:
Paul,
Are you using aluminum fittings or steel fittings? Pacific strongly suggests that you use steel fittings in order to reduce the chance of galling the aluminum threads on the cooler. It doesn't make sense to me, but they are the experts. The also strongly suggest that you use teflon tape or thread dope to further reduce the chance of galling.
Accept no compromise in oil cooler installation, fitting, hose and mounting. It is very flight critical. I concur use steel fittings. G

Paul....

I had the same problem. Called Van's and they replaced my oil cooler.

Gary Slatt
RV7A N438GS
Almost ready to Fly

Yes, I am using steel fittings, and applying sealant as directed by the mfr (loctite controlled-strength somethingorother)