Andy Hill

Well Known Member
Tried a search but no direct answer immediately apparent.

I have the stock Vans Oil cooler, and it's done about ~500hrs and is ~6years old, but not been used for ~1 year. Have the opportunity to pressure test before back into service, so does anybody have any advice on a suitable pressure to test it to?

I see Niagra "pressure test" to 400psi and "leak test" to 100psi - apart from the nomenclature, not exactly sure of the difference? I'd use that as a start unless somebody has a good alternative ;)

Thanks in anticipation...

Press.

Tried a search but no direct answer immediately apparent.

I have the stock Vans Oil cooler, and it's done about ~500hrs and is ~6years old, but not been used for ~1 year. Have the opportunity to pressure test before back into service, so does anybody have any advice on a suitable pressure to test it to?

I see Niagra "pressure test" to 400psi and "leak test" to 100psi - apart from the nomenclature, not exactly sure of the difference? I'd use that as a start unless somebody has a good alternative ;)

Thanks in anticipation...

Andy:
if you're using compressed air or gasses at 400psi, make sure that you do like the SCUBA guys do and fill the cooler and associated hoses with either oil or water first.

If it blows you'd spread liquid around instead of shrapnel!:eek:

I'm sure that you knew that though.

I'm sure that you knew that though
Thanks for that - I do now, and understand the compressibility issues between gasses and liquid.

However, by
Have the opportunity to pressure test
I meant I will be ~100 miles from the Oil Cooler when the test is done (by pro's), so hopefully that will be far enough :D