DEWATSON

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if there is an offset/curved/canted spacer to go between the oil cooler and the opening on the number 4 baffle on an IO360 parallel valve RV8. I have the large oil cooler and have also done all of the checks (oil flow, crimped oil line, vernatherm,etc) to make sure that my problem is not airflow. I have flown the airplane for 369 hours and I constantly struggle with marginally high oil temperatures. I'd like to get this problem squared away before the summer flying season gets started. Can anybody provide a drawing or better yet tell me where I can find one already built?

spacer

It seems that I've seen one here some time ago. It was built on a cant to keep the oil cooler from touching the engine mount. Does anybody remember the post?

Robbie Attaway

The stand off referred to was manufactured by Robbie Attaway. I purchased one from him about two years ago but was unable to use on my RV9. I'd be delighted to sell this for $50.00 plus ship. I paid around $100.

Paul

The stand off referred to was manufactured by Robbie Attaway. I purchased one from him about two years ago but was unable to use on my RV9. I'd be delighted to sell this for $50.00 plus ship. I paid around $100.
Out of curiousity, Paul, why were you unable to use it? Did it just not fit the geometry of the RV-9 mount?

The reason I'm interested in this is that my hot summer temps can get up slightly over 220 (and more if I let it) and others have recommended either (a) a larger oil cooler or (b) one spaced just a bit further from the hot cylinder. Both options, however, would require an angled spacer of some sort that would be a bit tricky to make myself.

Out of curiousity, Paul, why were you unable to use it? Did it just not fit the geometry of the RV-9 mount?

The reason I'm interested in this is that my hot summer temps can get up slightly over 220 (and more if I let it) and others have recommended either (a) a larger oil cooler or (b) one spaced just a bit further from the hot cylinder. Both options, however, would require an angled spacer of some sort that would be a bit tricky to make myself.

Steve, it would be interesting to compare our installations. I don't have a problem in summer months, but have a hard time getting oil temps up to normal in winter months. I have my cooler blocked almost completely off in the winter, and about 60% in the spring.

Steve, it would be interesting to compare our installations. I don't have a problem in summer months, but have a hard time getting oil temps up to normal in winter months. I have my cooler blocked almost completely off in the winter, and about 60% in the spring.
I still have to block it at certain times of the year in order to get my OT up to 180. Almost all the way blocked off from December-February, then I have a smaller cover plate to use Oct-Nov and Mar-Apr. Yours is firewall mounted isn't it? Mine's on the back baffle.