Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
I'm installing the oil cooler, and have the Van's oil cooler shutter all riveted in and everything. The only small problem, and it's fairly small, is that I have to insert thin (960-10L) washers between the cooler and the shutter, or the "fins" on the cooler interfere with the shutter. So, simple question...

Any recommendations on some sort of "gasket" or RTV to use between the two, to make an airtight seal? Or is it even needed (it's a very, very small gap)?

TIA!

Steve

I had the same problem.

I ended up making a spacer out of aluminum, about 3/16" thick all around between the cooler and shutters. It gave me good clearance and also more flow when the shutters were open. Mine is mounted on the back of my baffling. Only a small portion was open, to air about 1/3. With the shutters on there was even less area for the air to get through. By spacing the cooler off the shutters I got more flow to the lower portion of the cooler. I put the shutters between the baffling and the cooler. Not that I've ever come close to being too hot. I found that even with the shutters, I couldn't get my oil temps up in the dead of winter. I ended up insulating all around the outside of the cooler in the winter and that did the trick. Just the flow around the outside of the cooler was enough to cool it too much. Now it works great. You do have to keep an eye on your temps though. When it's warm you can get it real hot. Good luck.

I used...

... red RTV to seal off that small space made by the washers.
I don't want any airleak around the shutter, therefore the RTV.

You just have to be careful not to get any RTV into the shutter. Other than that no problems here.