FrankK90989

Well Known Member
Just call me Rube Goldberg. Earlier in the month I blocked off the oil cooler, a sure way to order up some warm weather--Oil up over 200F:eek: this won't do.
Van's shutter might block too much air on a hot summer day. Don't want to spent the $$ to test it.
So off to the drawing board, made up two prototypes, one horizontal type shutter and the "shade". Set them both in place and liked the shade best.
The skinny--weight 6.3oz, 1/4" control rod to oil door (knob), long "soft" spring & a 60# stainless fishing leader to maintain tension, 11.5" of baffling rubber, 2 turns of the knob is full travel. Friction is adjustable by tightening the end nut (friction washers).If it slips, I'll add a detent at the knob. I used some teflon tape on top of the oil cooler for slide & wear.
Looks like a T-paper holder.:D
15x65on.jpg

Last edited:
Now that's just cool right there! I've got the same issues with my duct taped oil cooler, but I never would have come up with that in a million years. Nice!

While that looks very cool, I would worry that the rubber might wear a hole in the aluminum oil cooler over time.

Remember, when two parts rub together, it is the harder material that gets worn away.

While that looks very cool, I would worry that the rubber might wear a hole in the aluminum oil cooler over time.

Remember, when two parts rub together, it is the harder material that gets worn away.
Yes, I will be watching this. either air pressure will hold it tight or it might flutter causing wear. some thin strips of teflon tape on the cooler tubes might help

Retracting

Does your "shade" depend on a spring to retract? If so, I would be concerned that someday when you really NEEDED to retract it due to high oil temps, Murphy would strike at that exact moment, and you wouldn't be able to retract it.

OTOH, maybe I don't fully understand how it works.

I love brilliant and original ideas like this.

So does one just reach into the oil door to turn the knob?

How close the left bracket is coming to your cowl? Remember the engine will shake the most at startup and shut down and it turns in the direction that the bracket may leave a ding in your cowl. Otherwise a great design.

I love brilliant and original ideas like this.

So does one just reach into the oil door to turn the knob?

Yes, it is just inside the door,

How close the left bracket is coming to your cowl? Remember the engine will shake the most at startup and shut down and it turns in the direction that the bracket may leave a ding in your cowl. Otherwise a great design.

There is about 1/2" of clearance. there is also room to lower the works.

Follow up

Just a follow up. after a few hours of flying, it is going to be a keeper! Yesterdays flight-- OAT 12?F.-oil 184?F. The flight before was OAT 4?F.-oil 181?F. As you can tell by the numbers the vernatherm is still doing its work.

A close inspection of the oil cooler shows no wear at all.:)

I have a small geared motor that would drive this from the cockpit.... maybe later...........:cool: