prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm mounting my oil cooler on my left aft baffle as per the finish kit plans.
I didn't play close enough attention, and drilled the mount to the rear baffle flush with the outboard edge, instead of in by 3/8". This means the baffle is also a little lower than it could be had I located it inboard by 3/8" (since the cowl slopes up towards the center. SO this means my oil cooler doesn't have quite as much visibility to the airflow as it could. Should I replace the baffle parts and oil cooler mount (and relocate it properly) or is this not so critical?

Depends on your oil cooler and what engine you have. Generally, the higher you have the cooler, the better. If you have a 7 tube Stewart Warner or 13 tube cooler, it shouldn't be an issue. If you are concerned, order a new baffle piece and save yourself the hassle later. I mounted mine high on the baffle on my RV-8, O-360 with 9:1 pistons, 7 tube Stewart Warner style cooler, and my oil temp is 180-190 in normal cruise flight. You'll have to do some trimming on the outboard upper angle of the baffle support to clear the cowl, and I recommend a steel angle support on the forward side of that angle to prevent eventual cracking, but it's the simplest and most user-friendly installation for the oil cooler. I mounted my oil cooler on my first airplane (RV-6) on the firewall and oil temps, with a butterfly air restrictor, were always right at 180 degrees, winter or summer. But it took a lot of work and fabrication to make it work out. If you mount your cooler too low, it can't get enough unrestricted airflow to be efficient.

Scott