sbalmos

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hopefully this doesn't create too many shattered dropped jaws. Someone suggested to me the idea of simply adel-clamping the oil cooler to the engine mount, in the space between the top and lower engine mount tubes immediately behind #4. It was a wild and crazy enough suggestion to make me stare at the engine mount long enough, hold the oil cooler up to it, and think "it /might/ work... Has this been done before?"

Anyone else ever done that? Stupid idea? Completely bonkers airflow-wise? etc?

20111221_0493.JPG

Cooler mount

I have this setup because with the SJ cowling on my -4, it will not fit on the baffling. Oil temp stays around 115-120. I will post a picture later.

You might want to check the Show Planes website. Bryan is now selling an engine mount oil cooler setup. I would have purchased it myself but just finished shoehorning a -10 firewall cooler mount onto the -8.

Sounds like a plan then! One less thing to be concerned about, especially hanging off of the baffle. Seems to me an engine mount tube would be a *little* more sturdy than baffle. :D Thanks all!

(WOO!!! Post #500 for me!!!)

Yes, but with a caveat. Coolers can be fragile, so I put it on a plate, then attach the plate to the mount tubes with adels.