Gregmarlow

Well Known Member
Hello,

Been flying my 9A for almost 50 hours now, removed the cowl today to trouble shoot a tricky CHT probe, discovered a fine mist of oil right behind the oil cooler on the firewall. Also a few drops of oil on the bottom of the oil cooler. Wiped them down, checked the fittings (all were secure, and no oil near the fittings), and ran the engine. Same thing, a drop or two on the bottom of the cooler. It's a very small leak, as my oil level hasn't dropped significantly in a number of hours.

It seems to be a leak somewhere in the fins, and I guess air flow through the cooler causes it to spray back on the firewall.

Is it possible to develop a leak in such a small number of hours, or is it likely I got a lemon cooler from Van's? If I decide to replace the cooler, what are my options to have the same exact footprint and mounting hardware?

Also, anyone see any problem with continuing to fly until my next oil change where I can replace the cooler?

Thanks in advance.

That's exactly how they start. Sometimes it's hard to tell it's the cooler. The mist goes everywhere. Sound like faulty brazing really. I wouldn't fly it. Suppose it opens up?

Is it possible to develop a leak in such a small number of hours, or is it likely I got a lemon cooler from Van's? If I decide to replace the cooler, what are my options to have the same exact footprint and mounting hardware?

Vans el cheapo oil coolers are all vacuum brazed. That's why they're so cheap. You might like to consider replacing your cooler with a quality Stewart Warner which will be fully welded and therefore more reliable.
Also, anyone see any problem with continuing to fly until my next oil change where I can replace the cooler?

Problem....you mean apart from the minor leak in the cooler suddenly becoming a major leak resulting in a rapid and complete loss of engine oil during flight.

Yep, time to park it...

...years ago, we had major problems with Continental IO-520's shaking oil coolers apart....I went through several in one season! That was until they remote mounted them and fed by oil lines.

It can let go and ruin your day, IMO....order a good Stewart and rest easy,

Best,

Same footprint?

Does anyone know if the SW 8406R has the exact same footprint as the Vans cooler? Same mount bolt pattern??

Thanks,

Greg,

Don't fly with a leaking cooler.....

Maybe you got a lemon... Van's cooler is not a Stewart but there are many RV's out there flying with em for a long long time....

Man you smoked your Phase I !!!!!!!

Last edited:
not going to fly...

Points well taken. Plane is grounded until I get a new cooler on there. Trying to figure out if I can get a new one by tomorrow AM so I can fly to work tomorrow afternoon... $70 overnight from Spruce.... or a 5.5 hour drive?

Anyone think Van's would step up and throw me a new cooler? Only 3 months and 50 hours on this one. Or is it even worth it to bother, considering the quality issue?

Thanks,

Hello,

cant believe someone would consider flying with a leaking plane!!!!!!!!!!
you can have it fixed in 2 days. :D

I had the (expensive) real deal SW 8406R, it was/is considered the gold standard

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/stewarnercooler.php

The flanges were cracking from vibration (repairable) but I didn't want to deal with it. I replaced it wit a positech 4211

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/positech.php

Same size. Heavier duty construction.

Van used to sell these but they were over built and did not cool well. As a result many were removed from RVs due to cooling issues. The cooling performance was improved. The heavier construction remains. I have not experienced any cooling issues and consider this unit to be the best built/value out there. Specifically the flanges on the SW 8406R that failed are much thicker on the positech unit.

Last edited:
Oil Cooler Leak

I just passed the 45 hour mark and was doing a good look under the cowl. To my surprise I fond that my Niagra Oil Cooler is leaking at the right rear corner. :eek: Vans has a new one on the way in the morning. :D