mikehoover

Well Known Member
I should have know I couldn't just slap the oil cooler in place and bolt it on. It seems there is little gap between the aft inboard oil cooler flange and the engine mount. How have other folks handled this?

Here is a link to my log entry and some photos:
http://www.aclog.com/rv-9a/#1126

Thanks!

This is mentioned in the firewall forward plans. The drawings even show you where/how to cut the mounting tab on the oil cooler so it fits. I'd say to just "follow the directions". :D

For what it's worth, I just replaced my 7-row oil cooler with a 10 row oil cooler and managed to get it to fit, too. Same thing...had to notch the mounting tab. Tight fit, but seems to be working well.

It looks like you are good Mike. It's acceptable clearance (that's what I was told) and the cooler will not touch the mount during "wet dog shake". I spent many months researching the issue, looking at aircrafts, talking to builders. Saw flying examples at Oshkosh with really tight quarters and nobody complained.

This is mentioned in the firewall forward plans. The drawings even show you where/how to cut the mounting tab on the oil cooler so it fits. I'd say to just "follow the directions". :D

For what it's worth, I just replaced my 7-row oil cooler with a 10 row oil cooler and managed to get it to fit, too. Same thing...had to notch the mounting tab. Tight fit, but seems to be working well.

I just did this same thing with the 10 row. I made a 3/4" wedge adapter that adapts the 10 row to the same bolt pattern as the seven row. I haven't got out to test it as of yet, but am very interested in your gains and what you see in improvements Etc. Please let us know! Regards, Allan:D

I just did this same thing with the 10 row. I made a 3/4" wedge adapter that adapts the 10 row to the same bolt pattern as the seven row. I haven't got out to test it as of yet, but am very interested in your gains and what you see in improvements Etc. Please let us know! Regards, Allan:D

Hi Allan,
I've flown with the 10-row cooler twice, but the OAT's were about 35 degrees (F) cooler than when I was having oil temps of around 230 with the 7-row. Not sure how much of an improvement I'll be seeing compared to the 7 row until I can fly in 85 - 90 degree temps again.

But, the 2 times I have flown the oil temps never went over 175. I'm quite certain there will be a good improvement over the 7-row, but I can't quantify the difference yet.

But, the 2 times I have flown the oil temps never went over 175. I'm quite certain there will be a good improvement over the 7-row, but I can't quantify the difference yet.

FWIW---- A friend of mine, has been flying with the standard Van's cooler for years in his 9A. Temps have always been on the low side. Last year, he installed the sliding damper (from Van's) to bring winter temps up. I did the same with my 6A, and Van's cooler. Same results. We fly Utah & southern Idaho.....most of the time.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

FWIW---- A friend of mine, has been flying with the standard Van's cooler for years in his 9A. Temps have always been on the low side. Last year, he installed the sliding damper (from Van's) to bring winter temps up. I did the same with my 6A, and Van's cooler. Same results. We fly Utah & southern Idaho.....most of the time.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Hey Larry, I did that as well last year. You provided me with some good info on mounting the shutter! Funny thing is, the very day I went to install the shutter I was poking around in my EFIS system and stumbled upon my "real" problem. The oil-temp sensor I had selected was wrong! I didn't need the shutter at all.

I will probably find that I need to block part of this 10-row cooler as winter sets in...unfortunately, the shutter I had will not fit behind the new oil cooler. So I may have to come up with a new solution.