Jerry Cochran

Well Known Member
I did a search and no joy... but am re-installing an oil cooler on an IO-360. On a previous build similar engine I don't recall it mattering which hose went to which cooler inlet and this cooler, a SW has nothing marked like "inlet/outlet" and since the oil on my previous -6a was if anything hard to warm up, the question never came up.

Assuming that the top hose next to the filter has the hottest oil, does it matter which cooler inlet it's hooked up to and if so, how does one identify same?

So, could some of you engine gurus pls weigh in on this one?

Many thanks,

Here's a good pic from a previous post. Oil cooler inlet is normally on the bottom, outlet on the top.

Processed_Img_4660.jpg

You are asking about a designated inlet and outlet on the cooler itself? Best I know it does not matter, as flow should be the same either direction.

You are asking about a designated inlet and outlet on the cooler itself? Best I know it does not matter, as flow should be the same either direction.

Dan is correct about no designated fitting, however, the "theory" is that the bottom fitting is better utilized for the cooler inlet, this will create a natural purge effect for trapped air in the cooler.

Dan is correct about no designated fitting, however, the "theory" is that the bottom fitting is better utilized for the cooler inlet, this will create a natural purge effect for trapped air in the cooler.

This cooler was mounted on the firewall and will still be horizontal hopefully to take advantage of lower exiting air pressure. The fittings therefore are of equal height so from what you both said guess it doesn't matter where the hoses go...

Thanks for the help, and anyone else want to weigh in, pls do...