pa38112

Well Known Member
I purchased an already flying RV6A with a known oil temp. problem on hot days. The builder tried to avoid the usual high oil temp. problem by installing the cooler behind a NASA duct on the cowling instead of in the typical location at the back of the plenum.

x6m84.jpg

Engine: 0-360
Prop: F.P.
Cowling: Sam James
Oil Cooler: Postech 7 row (P20003C)
Oil Temps: 190F at 70F ambient; 230F at 100F ambient
Delta P accross the cooler: 0.8 Inches H2O

I though the problem could be that there is not enough pressure drop (air flow) accross the cooler. My plan was to duct the cooler exhaust to a low pressure area at the bottom of the cowling. Today I installed some termpoary tubing at verious locations inside the cowling to find the best delta pressure from the cooler intake side to the exhaust side. What I found on my test flight is that the exhaust is already at the lowest pressure area inside the cowling.

Im wondering:
a.) If anyone is successfully cooling an 0-360 with the same oil cooler I have?
b.) Does anyone know what the pressure drop is accross their oil cooler? I don't know if 0.8" is hight, low, or about right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know what the pressure drop is across their oil cooler? I don't know if 0.8" is high, low, or about right.

Very low. Typical delta pressures would be (ballpark) 3" H2O at 100 knots, and 12" or so at 200 knots.

Thank you, Dan. I found a PosiTech performance chart that starts a 2"and goes to 18"... However; everything I read on the forum is that even people with a standard oil cooler configuration have oil temps. similar to mine.
I am very tempted to purchase a 12 row cooler and mount it in the exact same spot. - I'll have to give this a lot more though.