rv72004

Well Known Member
OIL consumption io360 [ POLL ]

What are you getting as oil consumption on your io360.??
I have it from a good source that a quart every ten hours is about right.
Then I speak to some people who say their engines go 15 to 25 hours on a quart.
I am interested to see a pattern for all of us to check against.

Last edited:
oil burn

to get the thread started
my aerosport IO-360 is using just about a qrt every 14 hours...right in there

oil used

My IO360 has about 1100 hours SMOH and is burning 1 qt evry 8 hours. I only have 55 hours on it in the RV7"eh?" but my mechanic says I am right in the ball park and not to worry.

oil consumption

My first O360-A1A burned a quart every 21.5 hours. The second O360-A1A used a quart every 10 hours. After a tear down for an unrelated warranty issue and the subsequent break-in, it again used exactly one quart every 10 hours.

O-360 with 700 hrs. SMOH and newish cylinders: about 1 qt. per 8-10 hrs. Some of it oozing out various places so not all that is being burned. The vent tube splooges out some as well. Just bought an oil separator for the tube but can't make myself install it. Putting all that acid/water/oil back into the engine? I dunno 'bout that.... :confused:

I've read somewhere (Skyranch Engineering manual I think) that very low oil consumption may not be such a wonderful thing and can mean there is cylinder wear going on near TDC due to not enough oil getting past the rings.

Brian Denk said:
O-360 with 700 hrs. SMOH and newish cylinders: about 1 qt. per 8-10 hrs. Some of it oozing out various places so not all that is being burned. The vent tube splooges out some as well.
Ditto ditto ditto ditto. 1135 hours IO-360-A1B6.

Brian Denk said:
... The vent tube splooges out some as well. Just bought an oil separator for the tube but can't make myself install it. Putting all that acid/water/oil back into the engine? I dunno 'bout that.... :confused:

Lot's of guys have done it to keep a cowl clean in the canard world, but maybe all that stuff (mostly H2O) should not go back into the case. (my feeling)

I tried something different and it worked reasonably well. The oil separator was installed but instead of going back to the case, it drained to a plastic tube to a small valve at the cowl bottom. The separator was drained during preflight inspection. It did collect quite a bit of water but not always. Sometimes there was nothing. That may have been due to humidity or lack of it. Never did see much oil, most of it was water.

dd

I have a new Superior IO360.
Initially added 7 qts Mineral Oil for breakin.
I've added 2 more qts and now showing 7 qts with 24.5 hours TT.
So, I'm getting 1qt/12hour.